Photodynamic therapy (PDT) and more advanced treatments for anti-ageing?

A certain female celeb posted a pic of them under a blue light and described by someone as Photodynamic therapy (PDT). Can this be used as an anti ageing treatment? Are there any treatments that are more modern or up to date than this as an anti ageing treatment which works in a non invasive manner?

PDT and lasers

See video for an explanation on PDT- this treatment is nearly 2 decades old. Yes, it can provide anti-ageing properties, especially if someone has a lot of sun damage and solar keratosis. I do believe that there are other better treatments as technology has caught up with PDT. I still do believe it works well, but there are other treatments that hurt less, and have a quicker recovery time, with better outcomes. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Hello andyzworld,

Thank you for your question.  In general, photodynamic therapy refers to the use of a light source (with or without a topical agent) to affect change in your skin.  Several light sources can be used, and the most popular in my practice is a light emitting diode (LED) source.  

Blue LEDs effectively treat cystic acne and pre-cancerous skin lesions.  Red LED light has been shown to improve wrinkles (by increase ATP production in the mitochondria of your skin cells); however, you must have the therapy repeatedly over time to see a result. There are many home devices approved by the FDA so you should consult your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to be sure that the device you choose has the appropriate fluence and power output. I hope this helps.

Hunter Moyer, MD