Which laser is for me?

There are so many lasers out there to resurface, tighten, brighten and rejuvinate the skin. I am now turning 30 and have really good skin but want a laser than i can get done once every few months to maintain a young and smooth complexion. What are your thoughts and what are the superior treatments out there

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. The laser works in one of two ways depending upon the device and technique chosen. In ablative laser skin resurfacing, the laser removes the most superficial layers of the skin. In non-ablative laser skin resurfacing, the laser energy leaves the surface of the skin intact as it passes through to the deeper layers of the skin where it stimulates a new layer of skin to form. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 Laser

There are many facial rejuvenation lasers available on the market. The most popular perhaps is the Fractional C02 laser. This laser treats wrinkles, sun spots, discoloration and tightens the skin as well. It has a few advantages over other facial rejuvenation lasers, such as a shorter recovery and less redness. It is safe for all skin types and can be found in most cosmetic offices.

Sam Rizk, MD

Which laser is the best for maintenance of the skin?

Thank you for asking your question. You are correct that there are many lasers available to improve the quality of your skin. I prefer the erbium laser, because results are impressive, recovery is fast and the treatment can be tailored to the individual's needs. I hope this helps.
Good luck,

You Have a Variety of Laser Options

It's great that you are taking steps to maintain your naturally youthful complexion. As you point out, there are multiple lasers available for skin rejuvenation treatments and it is important to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who can recommend the best procedure. For someone your age with good skin, you might consider gentle chemical or laser peels as part of your skin care routine. I offer the Level 1 ZO Skin Health Peel and the MicroLaserPeel at my practice. They are very popular as periodic maintenance treatments and do a great job sloughing off dead skin cells to keep skin looking refreshed. You could also consider Halo laser resurfacing, which is fully customizable with both ablative and non-ablative lasers depending on your precise goals. Best wishes in finding a treatment plan that works for you!

Otto Weiglein, FRCSC
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Which laser is for me?

It is never too early to start thinking about maintaining youthful skin. I do recommend you have a consultation with a board-certified doctor who has various lasers available in his/her practice. They can help you determine what your top needs might be. Here at my practice I would most likely recommend our most popular and newest treatment, 3D skin tightening. This treatment combines two different lasers, one helps with redness (v-beam) and the other with stimulating the production of new collagen growth (Collagenesis). There is no downtime and you will walk out glowing.

My other recommendation is to maintain great skin with regular chemical peels. Exfoliation is important for anti-aging. The breakthrough is that now we have non-invasive gentle peels that result in little to no downtime, but still give patients extraordinary results.

Dennis Gross, MD

Laser Selection...and Surgeon Selection

With the numerous technologies available, selecting the proper laser treatment is increasingly complex.

The laser itself is important, but not so much as the doctor who provides it--I cannot stress this enough. New laser tech comes out every year, and replaces the prior. But the plastic surgeon (or dermatologist) who specializes in this is permanent, and has perspective. Applying, selling, and using a laser is easy, and anyone can do it. Only a good physician can offer an evaluation of your skin, and you as a person.Find a board certified provider who can evaluate you and offer sound advice that you can trust. A full evaluation of your skin, goals, and expectations is essential. A good physician will refer you to the proper resource if they cannot provide it to you.  It is great that you are invested in your skin care at 30, so it sounds like you are committed to this for a lifetime. Connect with a plastic surgeon or specialist who will form a relationship with you, and be your doctor. 

Fraxel is a good standard laser for your demographic...but again, you need a consultation. Treating patients in a way that maintains youth and complexion is an art form, and draws from many skills. 

Lasers and skin rejuvenation

It is best to see a Specialist who has access to a multiple array of lasers and energy devices. At your age, fully ablative CO2 lasers are not recommended. 

Laser such as Fraxel, HALO, Picosure Focus, fractional low density ablative maybe suitable. Really hard to give you advice, as a full exam and also your expectations need to be met. 

A consultation with a Plastic or Dermatologist is your first step.

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Young skin care

At your age, a deep laser treatment, using what is termed an "ablative" laser, such as CO2, would not be necessary.  There are several newer, more superficial lasers that would give a more "maintenance" treatment, and would, over time, prevent some aging changes.  One of the newer is the "Clear and brilliant" laser, which requires no anesthesia (topical anesthesia is an option), and virtually no recovery.  It can be repeated monthly, and can give some significant results.  I had it myself recently, and liked the benefits!

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Need a consult

This is a tough question to answer without pictures.  There is no one perfect treatment for all patients.  Many factors such as skin type, degree of sun damage, age, number and type of lesions/wrinkles will determine the appropriate treatment or series of treatments.  Sometimes lasers are not the answers and the best results are obtained with injectables only.  Your best bet is to consult with a qualified physician to come up with a regimen that best suits your needs.   Good luck.

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Laser for you.

You would be best to choose an experienced and expert board certified physician who is a laser expert. The physician can then decide which laser to use to best treat you. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS