Do I need cheek fillers as well as lip? (Photo)

I had a consultation last night as I want lip filler. The doctor said that if I had this done, when I smile, I will look odd because of the lines around my cheek. So essentially he said he wasn't happy to do it as he knew i wouldn't be happy. His recommendation was that he uses 1ml of filler puts some in my cheek lines and the rest in my lips. Just wondered if you agree with this? The cost of having my lips and cheeks done will be the same price as he'll just be using 1ml split between my cheeks and lips.

Do I need cheek fillers as well?

Thank you for your question.  As you appear quite young and your smile lines are being created during animation I would recommend having the filler placed only into your lips to achieve a noticeable improvement.  Hope this helps.

Lip and cheek filler or lip only with 1cc

I would go with putting the syringe in the lips. Splitting between the 2 will give minimal improvement in each. Keep in mind that 1cc is 1/5 of a teaspoon. It is minimal and needs to be placed in the area of your concern.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip Augmentation Versus NLF Treatment

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Based on your photo, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a conservative lip augmentation with a dermal filler such as Juvederm.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Because only so much can be achieved with 1 cc of product, I would suggest first achieving your desired look for your lips before adding any product to your nasolabial folds.  Please be sure to fully discuss your goals and expectations with your doctor in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Do I need cheek fillers as well as lip?

The decision about how much filler to get in lips is a very personal one and depends on your personal style and aesthetic. Look online for a lip size/shape you like and present that as an option to any physician you see. Getting your nasolabial lines (the lines you mention a "cheek lines) filled depends on: 1) whether they bother you and 2) whether they are getting deeper as you age. Generally, in young people 35 and under the nasolabial fold does not affect lip filler results.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist