How much will an augmentation stretch out areolas?

I'm looking into having a breast augmentation done, but am concerned because after my daughter I feel my areola's are already stretched out and look too big now compared to the size of my breast. Will an augmentation maybe balance it out or will they still just look too big infact now bigger? Is there a way around this or procedure to fix this issue?

Stretch of all breast tissues tends to be proportional after augmentation

Augmentation will provide relatively uniform stretch of al tissues of the breast, and disproportional stretch of the areola is generally not seen. However, if you already have disproportionately large areola diameter relative to overall breast dimension, as is often seen with tubular malformation and in some otherwise normal circumstances, areola diameter reduction can be accomplished easily by a Benelli mastopexy approach, improving the proportional geometry.  Examples are found on the linked page below.  I hope that this helps.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Smaller Areolae, Bigger Breasts

Hello amy1989, and thank you for your question. Many women undergoing breast surgery — whether augmentation, reduction, or lift — are concerned by the look of large areolae. However, as a plastic surgeon, it's a priority of mine to ensure that the final results of any surgical breast enhancement are proportionate and reflect the patient's wishes. The surgical reduction of the areolae is a common addition to breast surgery, including augmentation. This option typically involves the surgeon simply cutting away excess areola tissue to reduce its diameter. Share your concerns with your surgeon during your consultation. He or she should be able to resize your areolae during your surgery, giving you the beautiful breasts you've always wanted.

Breast augmentation stretched the breast skin (and that includes the areola)

Breast augmentation is a procedure that adds volume to your breasts and as such it has to stretch the breast tissue (including the skin) to accommodate the implant.  In general, the bigger you go, the bigger the stretching.  So EVERY time a breast is enlarge, areolas get stretched a little.  If you are concerned about your areolas before you get your implants, you should speak to your plastic surgeon about adding an areola reduction to your breast augmentation.  This is a fairly simple procedure that can be done at the time of the surgery, or at a later time.
An areola reduction will require that excess areola skin is excised circumferentially, which means you will have a circular scar all the way around the areola.  These scars tend to be a little thicker than a simple breast augmentation scar, but they do fade over time.  Also, understand that areola reductions tend to stretch over time so you have to give it good 3 months at least to see the final size.
Some surgeons use a permanent suture to try and hold the areola size from stretching.  We use a GoreTex suture that is left in place to permanently support the areola reduction.  With it, we found areola is able to maintain their size long term.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Enlarged areolae

There is no way to differentially stretch the non-areolar skin with an augmentation while avoiding stretching of the areolar skin.  If you feel your areolae are too large now I suspect you will likely feel they are still that way following placement of implants.  Of course there is no substitute for an exam and this is something you should discuss with your surgeon.  An areolar reduction can be done but will result in a circular scar around the edge of the areola.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Areola change with augmentation

• Hello, and thank you for this question. Many factors would go into this. Certainly I would not recommend a very large implant if you were concerned about this. Your native skin tone as well as elasticity are also important. If you were unhappy with the appearance after 6-12 months you certainly could consider having this area reduced with a minor surgical procedure. Seek out a qualified board certified plastic surgeon. A more formal physical examination would also be in order. Best of luck.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Areola change with augmentation

The amount your areola will change, will depend on the size of implant chosen, the current size of your areola, breast skin tone etc.  If you find it too large, a reduction can be performed.

You areolas will stretch in proportion to the increased volume of your breast but if they are already disproportionately large they may be slightly larger that they are now.  An areola reduction can be performed but the scar may sometimes widen over time if a permanent suture is not used,  I would say that an augmentation will likely not make your breasts look worse.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Areolar stretching with Breast Augmentation

This is a common scenario with women who have had children, especially with breast feeding. The placement of the implants will usually help to balance the size of the areolae in many cases but an areolar reduction can be planned as part of the procedure if your surgeon feels the areolae will stretch out more with the implants. You could also just take a wait and see approach and address the areolae at a later date if they remain larger than you like.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Areolar stretching after breast lift

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
Your situation is common and your question a good one to consider before surgery.

• If your areolae are already stretched and your breast skin is loose, an implant to re-fill the breasts should not stretch the areolae further.
  • If the areolae are severely stretched they can be reduced at the time of the augmentation.
  • If you are having an augmentation that will make your larger than you have been before -
  • Ask your surgeon if the areolar reduction should be done with the augmentation or afterwards - a large augmentation may widen the scar from an areolar reduction done at the same time.
  • If it isn't clear, consider having the breast augmentation first and the areolar reduction later.
  • The areolar reduction can often be done under local anesthesia in the office - it is not another major surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

How much will my areola stretch after augmentation

Thanks for your question.  The degree of change you will experience in the size of your areola will depend on the  size of the implant you select and your skin tone and elasticity.  If you are unhappy with the size of your areola they can be reduced at the same time as your breast augmentation.  You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.