Would 1/2ml lip filler be enough for me? (photo)

I'm thinking of getting lip filler and I just wondered if 1/2ml will be enough to make a difference? I just want a more plump look,nothing too drastic.

Lip Augmentation NYC

While I am a fan of a more conservative approach to lip augmentation, because I hate the "Trout Pout" look, I don't think .5 ml will be enough. You could ask your injector to start with .5 cc, and then add more if desired. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Good luck !

Lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo.If you are looking for a subtle result, 1/2 cc may be enough. It also depends somewhat on the product used, as some products have more of a tendency to attract water, and are therefore more volumizing. I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Hi Susan_1981, 1/2 a syringe may definitely do the trick. I normally inject small amounts  and show my patients how it looks ...Once they are satisfied with the look i stop. ( swelling is normal ) If there is some product left i keep it for one year, so touch ups will be possible. A lot of my patients like the look they obtain with a little bit of swelling so they sometimes come back for more filler. Best of luck and be sure to go with a board certified plastic surgeon. Regards,

At least 1 syringe

Usually it takes at least one syringe to fill the lips up. You are best to be seen in person to figure this out.  Good luck.

Lip filler, is 0.5cc enough for me?

I will make a difference for sure. The most important choice is who is going to perform the injection. Make sure that it is a board certified physician. Lip problems are one of the most common problems noted on Realself. Most of my patients start off with "conservative" injections but always end up wanting more as time goes on. The more volume injected, the longer the duration.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Would 1/2ml lip filler be enough for me?

Hello susan_1981 - Thanks for your question.  Yes, 0.5cc is a great starting point for lip filler.  I agree with Dr. Emer that it is best to go slow and develop the shape of the lip that is more appealing to you.  You will still get some plumping as well.  Find an experienced lip injector in your area for the best results.  I recommend the use of hyaluronic acid (HA) filler as it is quite forgiving. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

I suggest a formal consultation to determine which filler and what technique is best to give you the results you are looking for.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Nonsurgical Lip Augmentation With Fillers Can Restore Or Enhance The Aesthetic Balance Between The Lips

s a rule, in the frontal view, the upper lip should ideally comprise one-third the total volume of both lips together. From the front view photo provided, it would appear that the upper lip requires no treatment at this time and that lower lip could profit from slight augmentation to slighty enhance the outward pout and achieve the above ideal. This should easily be achieved with about a half cc of filler, my choice being Juvederm Ultra Plus XC for this purpose.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Volume Correction Using Fillers

Thank you for your question. You already have nice volume and definition to your upper lip. I feel any more filler there would look unnatural. we look for a 1:1 height ratio between the vertical height of your upper lip, and the vertical height of your lower lip, at Cupid's Bow. That being said, you could stand more volume in your lower lip to make it match your upper. The rest of the syringe, if any left, could be used at the top of your nasolabial fold. There is also a case to be made for not adding any more.Best wishes.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Right Amount of Filler for Subtle Lip Enhancement

I think my question would first be why do you ask specifically about 1/2 ml? Half a syringe could certainly make a difference but subtle enhancement can still be achieved sometimes with less than that and sometimes more, depending on the person and their facial structure. Based on your photo I think we could improve the symmetry of both the upper and lower lips with a minimal amount of filler. After giving it time to settle in and for you to get used to the change, we can certainly add more if you desire a plumper appearance. I truly believe in staying on the conservative side, particularly when a patient desires subtle improvement - you can always add more. 

Dennis Gross, MD