Pain control (tummy tuck, muscle repair, BA/BL, liposuction to flanks, medial thighs, knees,lower back and near underarms)

I had a lot of stuff done. Unfortunately my garment was too small and i had a lot more swelling and vaginal swelling, so my doctor told me to keep it off for good . Now i am in so much pain even worse. also i am dealing with a nasty problem, i contracted mrsa, luckily it didn't get into my bloodstream, my belly button died and I'm in a lot of pain everyday. 4 weeks post op. is it appropriate to ask my PS for a refill on pain medication. it's terrible and I'm tired of feeling like this

Pain and Recovery Following a MMO

Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover - Post op discomfort?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear your are having so much discomfort following your mommy makeover. A pain management specialist seems like a reasonable referral. Hope this helps and feel better.

Pain management

I am so sorry to hear about your horrid post op experience. Call your surgeon and discuss your pain management. There is no need for you to suffer. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Management of pain after complications from a mommy makeover.

The complication you describe is about as bad as it gets with a mommy makeover. The pain is understandable and can only be controlled symptomatically until the wounds heal. If your plastic surgeon is having difficulty he may choose to refer you to a pain management expert.

Mommy make-over - MRSA complication and pain

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • I am so sorry you had an infection and complications from your mommy make-over.
  • You had a lot of surgery and a severe complication.
  • You need to see your surgeon so the cause of pain can be determined -
  • If it is muscle spasm, massage or stretch will work better than  narcotics.
  • Advil and Tylenol should be used as well.
  • But it is entirely appropriate to see your surgeon, have the cause of pain determined and work out a pain diagnosis and management plan, including narcotics, to see you through your recovery. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Pain issues

I should think that you would be able to get more pain medicine. This is a difficult recovery at best, especially so with a complication or two. Your surgeon will follow you through the entire process. Best wishes!

Pain control

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your infection issues.  I would recommend you see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  You did have a large amount of surgery performed in a single setting and so your pain is understandable, especially with the degree of swelling you are likely experiencing without a garment in place.  That said, one must first make sure that your MRSA infection is under control and not worsening or spreading which could be a source of your pain as well.  Hope this helps.

Pain control

I am sorry you are having difficulty after your surgery.  Please call your plastic surgeon and your pain meds can certainly be prescribed.  Continue to follow up with your PS.  Best wishes!

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon