Any suggestions on compression garment?

My doctor told me to take my compression garment off 7 days after surgery because it caused major vaginal swelling, it was way too tight for me. he said it would be fine to have off completely for good. I am 3 weeks post op, almost 4 weeks, still swollen in areas from the lipo and tummy tuck. Again, I don't see the results from the lipo in my love handles, it doesn't look swollen...can something be swollen without being hard? I just paid a lot of money to not have love handles still.

Compression Garments And Liposuction

You will be swollen for months after liposuction.  Massage, hyperbaric oxygen, compression and radiofrequency treatments such as velashape, venus legacy, z wave will help relieve the swelling and tighten the skin more.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction result still not evident

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • It can take a long time for swelling to subside.
  • Yes, things can be swollen and not be hard.
  • Since you have a tummy tuck and a liposuction, it may take longer to see your result.
  • But at this point, it is reasonable to expect to see something appearing -
  • So have a visit with your surgeon to discuss exactly how much fat was removed and what to expect.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

There is no evidence that compressive garments have any effect on the long-term outcome from liposuction.

If your garment is too tight it certainly should be removed. In the short term compressive garments offer patients comfort. They should fit uniformly. For whatever reason if you can't use a compressive garment this will not affect the long-term outcome.

Suggestions on a compression garmet

Dear suggestions on compression garment, 

The amount of time a garment is worn varies with each  plastic surgeon. There are some other alternatives which are often used such as anti-inflammatory medication and lymphatic massage. If you're still concerned with the swelling I would see your surgeon again.

Good luck to you.

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction and tummy tuck

Swelling will be present in some over for a prolonged period especially if it is around a tummy tuck incision.  Another 4 weeks would be helpful in your case before re-evaluation.  There are some simple options like arnica, anti-inflammatories and lymphatic massage that maybe helpful at this point.  Please ask your surgeon about options they recommend.