Is massaging Perlane 12 hours after injection damaging?

I had Perlane injected in nasolabial folds 12 hours ago and it looked lumpy so I massaged it to smooth it out, but now I'm reading that I shouldn't have done this? worried!

Massage post injection

Gentle massage is fine and won't cause any harm. It is also normal to feel some lumpy areas post Perlane injection. This usually resolves. If  you don't see the lumps,it will probably settle.  If on the  other hand it does not settle ,then you need to consult your injection provider.

Montreal Physician

Don't worry about massaging Perlane

If you felt some lumpiness then it is perfectly reasonable to massage to smoothness. You are very unlikely to move the product to a different part of the face. Anyway, as the product integrates with the tissue and absorbs water, it will feel softer and blend in well.

Massaging Perlane 12 hours post treatment

Thank you for your question. While it is difficult to provide a complete comprehensive answer to your question without before and after photos, generally it is important to consult with your injecting practitioner as each injector will have different post treatment protocols and after care plans. While it may not necessarily be damaging, it also may not be helpful either to address the lumpy appearance after only 12 hours post treatment as inflammation and swelling is still expected to occur within this time frame. Gentle massage of Perlane is generally fine if there are small lumps post treatment but I would recommend that you consult with your injecting practitioner and allow them to review your concerns and possibly massage and/or manipulate the product if required. Massaging the product on your own carries its own risks, such as possibly causing a localised infection, bruising and even bleeding (particularly if inappropriate force and/or technique is used)

PERLANE OR RESTYLANE LIFT NJ

Gentle massage for perlane, restylane, juvederm, volume, volbella and the other HA fillers is perfectly fine if there are normal small pockets of swelling after treatment.  The product does not "move around" or spread to other areas.  Be cautious not to aggressively rub the area, however!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging Perlane 12 hours after injection

Each injector will have different protocol post treatment. While it is generally not damaging, it may not be helpful either. Consult with your injector to understand your options as he or she knows the scope of the treatment and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Massaging Filler

While not necessarily damaging, I advise my patients never to massage where filler was placed (unless we are injecting with Sculptra). If this is done soon after injections were administered, it is possible to manipulate and move it from where it was initially placed. Lumps are a normal part of filler that are unavoidable but will dissipate with time. It can look lumpy immediately following injections usually due to swelling and not due to placement. It is important to give it time and once swelling has subsided, if you still have concerns you should see your doctor and allow them to be the one to fix any mistakes and/or manipulate if necessary. 

Dennis Gross, MD