What do you recommend using on BA insision scars that will reduce the appearance?

I had a BA 5 weeks ago. Looking for something over the counter that will reduce the appearance of incision scars?

Scar Treatments

In my practice, aside from sun protection I recommend silicone scar gel or silicone sheeting to be applied daily for about 4-6 months. This can begin around 3-4 weeks post op, once incisions are well-healed. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about what they recommend for scar treatment.
All the best

My prescription

All scars go through a normal and predictable wound healing process. It takes many weeks and many months for a scar to reach the point where it looks as good as it ever will. In fact, it can take up to 18 months.  What I recommend for you is a healthy dose of time and patience. If you are like most breast augmentation patients I have encountered in the last 12 years in practice, you will look at your car and worry about it every day for the first few weeks. After that,  you  will completely forget about it as it fades away and stops grabbing your attention every time you look in the mirror. I have never encountered a breast augmentation patient who had concerns with their scar once sufficient time passed from the time of their surgery.  I assure you that mother nature is better at taking care of scars  than any of our over-the-counter lotions and potions are. I hope this helps!

Dr. Robert Shenker MD FRCSC

Scar treatment

There are many scar treatments available over the counter.  There are silicone strips or topical creams that can be used.  The key to scar treatments is to remember that scars will fade slowly.  If you use a product for a short time you may not notice a difference.  Speak with your surgeon to see if there is a particular brand or type that he/she recommends.

Camille Cash, MD

Scar Treatment

Dear HiHopesforbigboobs, Our office recommends NewGel silicone sheeting for scar treatment. The website is newgelplus.com and typically the 1 x 6" strips can be but in half and placed on each scar (if you have the inframammary incision). Hope this helps 

Scar Therapy

Thank you for your question. Your scars will fade in time. I have to be honest what you are buying in the grocery store is not worth your money. The best treatment for scars is silicone. We use to have to deal with strips and our patients got every tired of using them. The FDA just approved biocorneum , its advanced scar gel with spf 30. It's also only available from your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's Office.

Mrudangi S Thakur, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

There are many options to help your scars fade after #plasticsurgery.

Both preventative and active measures are effective when dealing with scar healing. Preventative means using scar gel or silicone strips as your scars heal to minimize their appearance. We offer an FDA-approved silicone scar gel to help with this.After your scars are mostly healed, we also offer therapies to help fade existing scars. These include both laser treatments and also cryo therapy.

Scar treatments

I would go with scar stickersScars will fade over a year, sometimes two years.  When scars start out, they are pink, firm, and raised for several weeks in some cases.  This is because the collagen that is forming is immature and filled with microscopic blood vessels.  Over time, the collagen remodels, and the scar will become more pale, flattened, and soften.  Small ridges will flatten as well.  During this first year, it is important to protect the scar from the sun as any sun exposure can potentially permanently hyperpigment the scar.  As well, there are adjunct scar treatments such as Mederma, silicone scar stickers, and potential laser treatments or steroid injections.  These would need to be discussed with your plastic surgeon depending upon your specific situation.Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Scar Management after Breast Augmentation

While scars are necessary in any type of breast augmentation procedure, thankfully the vast majority of incisions for this procedure heal beautifully.Each surgeon will approach this slightly differently, but all will try to keep your scars to a minimum.Tissue handling and patient factors contribute the most to final scar but there are things that can be done after the surgery to help improve the final outcome.Scar management creams have been readily available over the counter for many years and patients often find them beneficial. We have had very good results with Skin Medica's Scar Recovery Gel and provide it to all of our BA patients to start at two weeks.For scars that are starting to look a little thicker than hoped for lasers like Fraxel Dual or some Erbium devices can be of help.Remember it takes more than a year for scars to reach final maturity.Talk to your PS team and they may have more specific recommendations that work well in their hands.All the best.Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Scar gels

Typically scars from breast augmentation heals well.  Topical applications of scar gels may be beneficial.  You can discuss the options with your surgeon.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Scar Management

Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.