How long after a BA does it take for rippling, or bottoming out, to show?

My BA was 5 weeks ago. I show no signs of rippling or any other complications (knock on wood) when will rippling show assuming that you end up w/ it? Also, bottoming out?

Rippling and Bottoming out after Breast Augmentation Surgery

Thanks for your question..First of all you should know you can always consult about your questions with your plastic surgeon, I'm sure she/he will be happy to help you in the post-surgery care and doubts. Breasts takes about 3 month to settle, so this is something that can always happens and also depends on multiple factors as your body habitus, type if implants, location of the implants, (above or behind the muscle)..etc..You should wait at least 3 months to see the final result. I hope everything goes well. 

Bottoming out or rippling

These two things can happen for different reasons. Rippling can occur in a patient that has very thin soft tissue coverage.  Bottoming out can occur from over dissection of the pocket, or over time with heavy implants and weak supportive tissues.

At 5 weeks

Most of the changes should be visible by now but at 3 months all the changes are stable and will not change

Max Gouverne, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Rippling and bottoming out

Neither is very common, but rippling can show up once all the swelling has resolved in those who are overly thin.  Bottoming can happen after many months as the implant slips lower than desired.  Usually this is do to a very large implant.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rippling/ Bottomming Out

Thank you for your question. Rippling and bottoming out are quite different. You should not expect to bottom out. This is a concern when overly large implants are placed and if breast folds are dissected, weakening them. Rippling is the ability to see or feel the contours on the implant shell through breast tissue and skin. Typically, the chances of this are minimized greatly if there is sufficient breast tissue to cover the implant and/or they are placed under the muscle. It is still a possibility to feel the implant when pressing on thinnest areas such as the bottom and lateral breasts. In very thin patients and with saline implants, this tends to be more likely.
Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about any issues if they come up.
All the best

Rippling and bottoming out

If you do not have rippling or bottoming out within the period of a year, it should not occur.  Late rippling can occur after breast feeding or significant weight loss. Overactive use of the pectoral muscles can lead to bottoming out with implants that are under the muscle.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Typically rippling and bottoming out shows when you are completely healed and the implant has settled. Best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Rippling after surgery

It is important to understand that rippling and bottoming out may not occur at all. Rippling and dimpling is less noticeable if the implants are placed under the muscle. Most changes can be seen evolving between six weeks and six months as your swelling comes down.