I absolutely love my BA results! I can't help but worry that I am going to do something wrong that will ruin them?

I am only a week post op, but some people don't develope problems for years. What are some of the biggest mistakes people do to cause these problems? Any suggestions of what I can do to prevent such complications? I look forward to any feedback! Thank you

Breat Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Your concern is not uncommon. Wearing the appropriate bra and avoiding aggressive chest exercises for the first 6-12 months can help to ensure your continued love of your breast augmentation. It's also important to keep all your post operative appointments and to follow the post operative instructions of your plastic surgeon. Best of luck. 

BA results

I think that it is important to follow your doctors post-op instructions. Going back to vigorous exercise too soon can be a mistake.

Problems with breast implants

Our clinic treats thousands of women with defective breast implants.  The following are important to avoid problems:  Avoid trauma as we see leakage after trauma including rough mammograms.  Avoid mold as mold can contaminate foreign bodies in the biofilm and cause sick building syndrome in susceptible patients.  Change the implants out every 8 years if silicone and you have a detoxification defect such as COMT or MTHFR or you will likely develop fibromyalgia.  Change saline out either every 10 or 15 years depending on the manufacturer.  Very few surgeons know these precautions as they do not treat complications of breast implants that are systemic.  They do not have the experience or the education (functional medicine) to understand these problems.

Susan Kolb, MD

Love my BA results

Congratulations on the surgical part of your procedure! The most important thing you can do at this point is to listen to your surgeon and follow his or her instructions carefully. There is more to the procedure than the technical part itself. Healing takes place mostly over 3 to 5 months. Scar care is important. Your surgeon may recommend different governments to where and activities to avoid or perform. This all leads to a successful outcome.

It is normal to have some concerns after surgery. Most women heal very well. Please follow your surgeon's post operative instructions, and keep all your follow up appointments. Your surgeon can help gyide you through all the healing hurdles.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

What should I avoid or do to maintain the results of my breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions.  They are the best source for specific do's and don'ts.  In my practice I recommend no cardio workout for a total of three weeks, and then gradually increase activity.  Most patients can be without any restrictions by 2-3 months.  Keep regular follow ups with your surgeon.  Implants should last many years and when one sees or feels any changes then contact your surgeon.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon