My BA was 5 weeks ago! I can feel a really tiny peice of my stitch from under insision. Will it come all out on its own?

My BA was 5 weeks ago! I can feel a really tiny peice of my stitch from under insision. While at my last PS appt he fixed the stitch poking out. Do I need to make another appointment to fix this one, or will it come out on its own? I'm afraid if I let it heal this way w/out doing anything it will cause the scar to be more visible & not heal properly.

5 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your question with us. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 
Kind regards

Feeling a stitch

Most plastic surgeons use sutures that will eventually dissolve.  However, sometimes they come to the surface and can be removed so they don't cause irritation.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Spit Stitch

Dissolvable sutures can occasionally wiggle their way to the surface instead of being absorbed completely internally. Typically, a small stitch protrusion can be trimmed off by your Plastic Surgeon or it will fall off on it's own. If you have a small opening, keeping it clean and covered is a good idea. Ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine you so that you can ensure you don't have any infection issue.
All the best

Stitch and breast augmentation

A palpable or extruding absorbable stitch can occur at the incision line. Often this can be trimmed very easily by your surgeon.

Stitch in BA incision

Thank you for your question.It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have. Without knowing what type of stitches they used, it is hard to give you a recommendation. If they used dissolvable ones then I would leave it alone, it should dissolve and disappear over time. If they are not dissolvable, then yes, I would set up another appointment with your surgeon to have it removed. Make sure you don’t poke or mess with the stitch though as you may cause damage to the incision.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation question

It's impossible to say without knowing what kind of stitch it was (dissolving or permanent). The best thing is to call your surgeon and discuss this with them.

I feel a stitch under my incision

Thank you for your question.  Treatment really depends upon the type of sutures placed at the time of your procedure and I would recommend that you bring any concerns directly to your operating surgeon.In my practice I generally use dissolvable or absorbable sutures for my routine breast augmentation closures.  While most of the time these sutures dissolve on their own and require no intervention, there are some cases where these sutures spit to the surface and require trimming or removal.  Sometimes patients will come to the office for a follow up appointment concerned with a 'bump' that they feel below their incision, which is often attributed to the knot of the sutures I had placed.  These generally break down on their own, although it may take some time.
I hope this helps and best of luck on your recovery!

Stitch under incision following breast augmentation

Subcutaneous sutures following breast augmentation surgery are absorbable. The duration which the sutures will take to become fully absorbed by the body is variable. Occasionally these sutures can work their way to the surface and become "exposed". This usually prompts a phone call and a visit to the plastic surgeon. Treating these is often nothing more than clipping the exposed portion of the suture and local wound care with bacitracin or neosporin until the small wound heals over. In some cases the scar may be widened from this and can benefit from a scar revision. This covers subcutaneous suture granulomas when the tissue coverage over the implant is sufficient. If the tissue between the implant and the skin is very thin a wound in this area might lead to a more substantial wound healing concern. If you are concerned that the wound is potentially leading to expose of the implant then a more prompt approach is indicated. Either way, your plastic surgeon would rather hear how you are doing and see you for a thorough follow up.

Give him a call.

Dr. C

Call your surgeon

Your surgeon will have the best idea on the type of suture that was placed, and can help you with what needs to be done for this problem.