Can I get upper blepharoplasty at 19 years old? (Photo)

My left eyelid has been droopy since I was born but as I get older it is getting worse. I have phoned cosmetic surgeries in my area but keep getting turned down for surgery as they only accept people 30+ years old for blepharoplasty. Would it be possible for me to get surgery at all?

Ptosis repair, Not blepharoplasty

Thank you for sharing your question. You have ptosis (droopy eyelid) as apposed to extra skin on the upper eyelid. You can have ptosis repair performed at 19 by an Oculoplastic Surgeon.  Good luck,

Yes, you have left upper eyelid ptosis and this requires surgery to correct.

The surgery that you need is left upper eyelid ptosis repair.  The success of repair will very much depend on the motor function of the left upper eyelid.  If the muscle that opens the eye is weak, then the likelihood of successful surgery diminishes.  Provided you have good levator function, you also need an anchor blepharoplasty to help evert the upper eyelid lashes, in addition to ptosis surgery.  See a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  Listen carefully to what they are recommending.

Droopy eyelid at age 19

Thank you for asking about your droopy eyelid.
  • Thank you for the very helpful photo - and here is the good news.
  • You don't need a standard blepharoplasty - 
  • You clearly have levator muscle ptosis - that means the muscle that lifts your upper lid is weak or too long, so you lid isn't fully supported.
  • This can be corrected by a Board Certified Plastic or Ophthalmoplastic Surgery -
  • Usually with local anesthesia in the office.
  • And if you have health insurance, insurance may pay part or even all of the cost.
  • So call a plastic or opthalmoplastic surgery and tell them you want a consultation for eyelid ptosis (pronounced tosis.)
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

You need ptosis repair

Ptosis repair, rather than blepharoplasty, is needed to raise your droopy eyelid. I recommend scheduling an evaluation with an oculoplastic surgeon. There are several different techniques available and you can be advised on the best approach for your case. Good luck!

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bleph

You are inquiring about the wrong procedure which is why no one is responding. You have ptosis or a "lazy eye". This is easily fixed with a different surgery.

Droopy Eye Lids Benefit from Eye Lift

Your drooping eyelid, otherwise known as ptosis, is caused by a weakened Müeller muscle in your upper lid. It is not uncommon for this condition to worsen with age, as you have noticed. I would treat your ptosis by lifting the lid at the point where it crosses the iris. You are not too young for such a procedure. I hope you find someone who will help you.