I have a deviated septum, should I get rhinoplasty? (photo)

I am very self conscious about my nose as I feel my septum is very out of place and obvious. Will I need a septoplasty/rhinoplasty? And will my piercing effect the surgery?

Septum Presents Respiratory Concerns, Not Cosmetic

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty are 2 distinct surgeries that treat different elements of the nose and are often performed together. The septum is the cartilage and bony strip inside the nose that separates the 2 nasal chambers. Issues with the septum typically cause difficulty with nasal breathing.  Sometimes, irregularities of the nasal septum can cause external changes in the shape of the nose, but the primary focus of septoplasty is improving your nasal airway.  I would recommend consulting with a surgeon who is comfortable performing both septal deviation correction and cosmetic rhinoplasty simultaneously. Nose surgery is fine for patients with piercings -- but you will need to remove the ring for your procedure, of course. I hope this helped to clear things up.

Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have a deviated septum. Should I get a rhinoplasty?

A deviated septum is only truly diagnosed after examining the inside of the nose. The deviated septum is corrected by a septoplasty. Rhinoplasty on the other hand is the operation that allows the surgeon to correct the shape and size of the nose.

When both procedures are combined, the operation is called a septo-rhinoplasty. You need to consult with a Plastic Surgeon who carries out both procedures on a regular basis.

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are 2 completely separate operations

A rhinoplasty is performed to change the shape of the nose such as straightening it, reducing the dorsal hump, refining the tip  and narrowing the bridge. To make the diagnosis of a deviated septum requires a thorough examination of the internal portion of the nose. A deviated septum is  repaired once medical necessity has been documented, since there is  twisted bone and cartilage in the back of the nose blocking air flow.  A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. Both a septoplasty and rhinoplasty can be performed together at the same time under the same anesthetic with the same  recovery. Expect to pay for the cosmetic component yourself, while the functional component is usually billed to the patient's medical insurance, once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination and consultation. For more information about the differences between the 2 procedures, please see the video below

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Should I get a rhinoplasty

Only you can determine if you want a rhinoplasty.   It depends on how much you are bothered by the appearance of your nose.   It would certainly be best do the rhinoplasty along with your septoplasty if you are going to do it.   It would be useful to do computer imaging to see what might be possible cometically.   

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

thanks for your inquiry. Your piercing is not likely to have a bearing on your operation results provided you don't have a sizeable septal perforation.
It would help to comment further if you provide some more pictures, but I see good potential for improvement.
Best wishes

Mr J Tahery 

Jawed Tahery, FRCS
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon