Will I heal faster after a "full tummy tuck" because I am younger?

New to this site. I'm 18 and I just lost over 80lbs. I have a lot of excess skin so I want to get a tummy tuck. I'm a full time student and I only have a month break this winter. I'm wanting to schedule a tummy tuck in between that break. Am I going to heal faster because I'm younger? I see a lot of other people getting this procedure and they are 30+ so I'm just wondering if any doctors have worked with a younger male patient. Please let me know Thank you!

Healing Post TT

Thank you for your question! You should have an easier time healing because you are young, but everyone is different.  Don't expect no pain.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon ChicagoHoffman Estates Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Congrats on  your weight loss! Generally, patients who are healthy before their surgery heal the fastest, and have the most easy recovery. You being young and healthy will certainly be a major benefit. Keep sticking to your healthy lifestyle (eating well, exercising,  no smoking), and make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon....you will do great! 

Rady Rahban, MD

Certainly may help, but there are many factors to the rate of healing. Pre-existing conditions, starting weight, and NO smoking. See a board certified plastic surgeon for the best suggestion after a complete evaluation. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Healing

Congratulations on your weight loss!  A month should give you sufficient time to heal so you can go back to school. You will likely still be sore and have some restrictions, but be able to go to classes. Being healthy is the most important issue, not just age. I suggest you meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon pretty soon, otherwise you might not find a reputable surgeon with open time as this time of year gets pretty busy. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Healing

In general, healthy young people have an easier time of it but age is not a guarantee. Tummy tuck after large weight loss is increasingly common with more attention to overall health and with safer/better weight loss surgeries becoming more widely popular. Congratulations on meeting your goals through your own efforts! In the overwhelming majority of cases one month would be plenty of time for meaningful recovery in a young healthy patient.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tummy Tuck

Hi, congratulations on your weight loss, you are on the right track. Your age will be of great help in your recovery process, but also your post op care. A month is enough to feel yourself again. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks after weight loss

You should heal 'faster' but it really depends on whether muscle work needs to be done, the extent of your skin resection, and other issues.  You should ask your chosen surgeon whether he/she feels you will heal within your time frame.

Curtis Wong, MD

Thank you for your question.  You will likely have a faster recovery course because of your youth, reduced overall weight, and dedication.  A month will be a sufficient period of time for you to gradually resume your former level of activity after a tummy tuck so that you can return to school as a new man and with minimal restrictions.  

Tummy Tuck Recovery

That's wonderful that you lost 80 pounds! You should heal faster not because you are young, but because you probably won't need muscle tightening, which can make the first few weeks uncomfortable. Regardless, a month is much longer than you'll need. 
Go visit a few surgeons that specialize in body contouring who are certified by the ABPS and are also members of the ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I appreciate your question.

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Age is definitely on your side for healing and recovery.  However, a tummy tuck is a major procedure so I would plan to use your 4 week winter break to rest and take the time to fully recover.  I have worked with lots of male massive weight loss patients and have an office in Beverly Hills if I can be of assistance.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz