What is the difference between high profile and moderate? (Photos)

I currently have 400 cc/325cc (small c cup) and I am going in for a revision , currently I'm unhappy with my size and want more projection. I currently have moderate implants and I feel like they don't project much. I want to go up to 600 but don't know if I should switch profiles

What is the difference between high profile and moderate?

A high profile implant will have more projection. This will allow you to increase the size of the implant (overall volume) but keep the width of the implant so that it fits within the natural base of your breast. If you increase the volume, but don't raise the projection than the implant can become too wide for your chest wall. It gives an unnatural appearance.Speak with your plastic surgeon about these decisions. 

Moderate vs high profile implants

You can't go 600 in a moderate because these will likely be far to wide for your body. If you want larger fuller breasts going up to high profile will help. Moderates are meant to look conservative and natural, high profiles are designed to look fuller, larger and less natural.

Thanks for your question.  The 'profile' generally concerns the projection of the implant from the chest wall. A higher profile implant will project more, but have a narrower base width (size-for-size) than a more moderate profile. If you do have moderate profile implants, your photos demonstrate that these sizes completely fill-out your chest width. A larger volume moderate profile would be even wider/taller, and likely would not fit your chest width dimensions. A higher profile implant would have a more narrow base width,  making an increase in volume possible without exceeding your chest width. This can only be accurately assessed by an in-person examination with your local plastic surgeon.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

The term "profile" in breast implants refers to how far the implants stick out forward from your chest wall. Your surgeon can show you a list of implants for exact dimensions. There are literally hundreds of implant choices available.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

High profiles will give you more projection and narrow the base. It will be useful for your situation. The final volume depends upon your breast measurements

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants.  The high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants. 

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison. I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.