How do I Decide Between Liposuction With or Without Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I've had three (board certified PS) consults so far, and as many suggestions. I'd like another opinion. I'm 31, 5'2, and between 150-153 pounds. I've had three children, my last by C-section. I was told I have an umbilical hernia, but all 3 disagree on exactly how large it is. (My pain comes and goes, barely feel it weekly) I plan to get the hernia repaired first, but do I need lipo, a TT, or both? One PS said my skin is too tight for a TT, 2 others said I can get both the TT and lipo.

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

Hi there,

You have no chance of achieving a nice result from liposuction.  The problem is one of loose skin not an excess or local deposit of fat.  You might need a divarication repair as well.

Your anatomy suggests you should achieve a very nice result from abdominoplasty.  Ensure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation, and good luck.

Lipo vs abdominoplasty

Liposuction removes excess fat while abdominoplasty removes excess skin and repositions the muscles. You have too much skin,therfore you require an abdominoplasty. Liposuction with skin excess will result is more sagging.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Liposuction and abdominoplasty

The photos demonstrated stretched abdominal skin with extra pinch. This suggests that you would do well with an abdominoplasty with or without liposuction. The umbilical hernia can be corrected at the same time as the abdominoplasty so there would be no reason to have this performed in stages.

TT

Given your photos, you seem like a good candidate for a TT and lipo safely at the same time,  the hernia repair could be done simultaneiously with this procedure as well-the TT would get rid of your excess skin and lipo would take care of the density in the abdomen and the flanks. 

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a TummyTuck after Pregnancy?

Based on the photographs it appears that you have excess skin that would benefit from a tummy tuck.  Your umbilical hernia could be repaired at the same time as the tummy tuck. Some of the stretch marks in your lower abdomen would also be removed with the tummy tuck procedure.  I t is possible you may desire liposuction on your upper hips.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you are an excellent candidate for the tummy tuck procedure. The  umbilical hernia can be repaired at the same time (there is no reason to stage the procedures).

I would suggest you select your plastic surgeon carefully.

I suppose a single procedure will not help in your case. You seem to have a good result from getting both - liposuction and Tummy Tuck.

The excess skin will hang after liposuction. The skin may shrink down to the new size after liposuction, but in general, skin with stretch marks has already lost it’s ability to shrink. Similarly, the bigger was your size before liposuction, the less is the ability of the skin to shrink.

Of course the better answer can be given after examination, which will help to predict your need for liposuction, but as for abdominoplasty, I think you are a good candidate for it and will achieve very good result.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction without Tummy Tuck Expectations

An exam is needed for the best answer. Based on your limited photos although you would most likely have the best result with a tummy tuck and liposuction, liposuction alone is an option along with core exercises to increase resting tone of the abdomen for those with realistic expectation. In that case you will have a smaller waist size and look better in clothes. On the other hand it is expected that you will have loose abdominal skin afterwards.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

I think you would achieve the best result from initial weight loss followed by a tummy tuck.  This combination should give you a very nice abdominal contour.  It would also remove most of your stretch marks.  Liposuction alone would decrease the fullness of your tummy, but would likely make the loose skin worse.  In addition, it would do nothing for your stretch marks.  Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Tummy tuck and hernia repair after pregnancy

For a good result, you will need a full tummy tuck with or without liposuction. this can be done at the same time as your hernia repair or after the hernia repair. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS