Can I Get a Liposuction or Tummy Tuck After 4 C-sections? What Are the Risks?

I had to have a c-section because my first child stooled in my waterbag so i had to have a csection so after that the rest of my kids were c section no i dont have twins they where all independent. I was a size 2 and went to a size 13 after my first child i noticed at first it was just extra skin but now it is also fat i just dont know if i could get either a lipo or tummy tuck due to my 4 previous c sections!?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will be much specific to without viewing photographs or in-person evaluation. However, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. The tummy tuck operation serves to re approximate muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss, remove "excess" skin/adipose tissue (often overhanging C-section scars) and further contour the abdominal wall, with tools such as liposuction surgery.
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides.
You will also hear/read about mini tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion/experience, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
Again, for the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link/video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Liposuction/Tummy Tuck After C-Sections #tummytuck

Of course. I do not see any reason why you would not be able to have those procedures done and you really do not have any increased risk compared to others if you had simple straight forward C sections.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Yes y

Yes you can have either, if the problem is loose skin and localized adiposity in the lower abdomen then abdominoplasty is what you need, if you have elastic skin and adiposity then liposuction is an option. In your specific case it is impossible to give you a good recommendation without examining you or at least looking at a picture, however with your history, you will probably need and abdominoplasty, patients with overweight will benefit from loosing as much weight as possible before either one of these procedures.

surgeons members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery are your best option.

good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after c section

It sounds to me like you are the ideal patient for a tummy tuck. If fact many tummy tuck patients need the procedure because of multiple C- sections. It sounds like you have a good amount of loose skin and lipo would rob ably not be of much benefit.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

You can have a tummy tuck after four C-sections. If you have excess skin a tummy tuck is best, if you have tight skin then liposuction will work better. A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and easily tell which procedure is best for you.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck after C-sections

Thank you for your question.   After 4 C-sections, you probably have some degree of loose skin and muscle.  It will be necessary to see a photo or perform an exam to ensure this.   A Tummy Tuck will be the only way to address all three of these layers and would be my recommendation in your case.  I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

An exam or pictures would be helpful, but your description may indicate that a tummy tuck is a reasonable choice to remove excess skin and fat.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Good candidate for an abdominoplasty

Your previous C sections should not preclude you from having an abdominoplasty.  From your description you would be a good candidate for the procedure. 

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck After 4 C-sections? What Are the Risks?

It is quite common for patients with previous csections to have Tummy Tucks. The csection does not interfere with the TT. It is very uncommon for patients with multiple pregnancies to do as well with liposuction as they would do with the full TT. It is necessaty, however, to make sure you are at a good weight before investing in this kind of surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Ronald V. DeMars, MD