Bumps After Liposuction on Hips and Thighs?

I had Liposuction to my outer thighs and hip area - out patient basis. I was injected with lido and epi - they took out approx 1500cc of fat .

I have a big indent in my thigh and am very bumpy - suppose to go back in 4 weeks and have more done - he told me 3 trips on outpatient. I was not put in a compression garment. I am worried I am not going to have any shape? What do you think of this, is it right?

Doctor Answers 2

Sounds Fishy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I hope you are seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon because this sounds a whole lot like a non plastic surgeon. First of all a compression garment is essential-for 6 weeks! Second, why did you not get all of the liposuction at one time? There is only risk if >5 liters is to be removed.

Do not go back so soon for this guy to try and fix the problem. You're going to have to wear the garment and see how things turn out after 6 months. At that time a better decision can be made about the revision. You made need fat injected to correct the deformity.

I would strongly recommend seeing other plastic surgeons.

Not a plastic surgeon doing Liposuction?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I fully agree with Dr. Hess. No board-certified plastic surgeon would recommend muliple liposuction sessions in the office and no compression garment afterwards! I would have just taken you to the OR so we could have done the whole treatment effectively in one session with one recovery. And I would have had you wear a compression garment for at least 6 weeks, and I would have recommended lymphatic massage starting about a week after the surgery. I also would not do a surgical revision of "lumps" for at least 6-9 months, as things continue to change after lipousuction for at least that long.

Above all, though, please check your doctor's credentials. "Board-certified" does NOT necessarily mean "Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery". A "cosmetic surgeon" is NOT the same as a "plastic surgeon". You have to specifically ask what board has certified your doctor, and specifically ask what kind of residency and fellowship training they did. Good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.