Is it possible to have Liposuction performed on the stomach with a 0.5mm cannula?

I am considering a doctor that performs lipo with a 1.5mm incision, but was wondering if this is the smallest cannula available for the stomach. I don't have much fat on the stomach so if it's possible to get lipo with even tinier scars, (with the cannulas used for chin/jowl lipo) that would be fantastic. Thank you.

Liposuction can before formed on the abdomen with a 0.5 mm cannula but it's going to take some time.

Plastic surgeons generally use smaller cannulas for the purposes of a smooth contour.I'm not sure there is any advantage to using a cannula this small.

Can liposuction be done with a 0.5 mm cannula?

I think it would be difficult to remove fat with an 0.5 mm cannula and it would involve more, rather than less trauma to the area than an appropriately sized cannula. Best wishes.

Hello and thank you for your question.

As a Plastic Surgeon and a Specialist, we automatically consider both the medical and aesthetic results for any patient we treat- it is the core training for any Plastic Surgeon. So, why would we choose a larger cannula than we need to achieve a good result, and why would we choose to give a larger scar if the patient would benefit from a smaller scar?

These are the sorts of factors we always consider, as well many others you are not aware of.

So, although your question is a good one, it may not be relevant in your particular circumstance.

I believe face-to-face consultations are essential- they give you the opportunity to discuss your concerns and wants with your Surgeon, and it gives your Surgeon the opportunity to accurately assess and discuss your options.

Liposuction on the stomach

It May able to technically aspirate some fat with a .5  cannula but I think you are missing the point.  I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust, and let him recommend some options for you.  The scars from even 3 and 4 mm cannula can be kept less than 1 cm and are not noticeable once healed.  You may want to also consider non surgical options such as coolsculpting and liposonix if you do not want any scars.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I liposuction models on a frequent basis with a 3 mm cannula with excellent results.  You want to notice a difference in the areas liposuctioned.  Otherwise there is no point to having the procedure.  Remember that it is not just the size of the incision but the number of incisions as well. 

Lipo Canula Size

The larger the area to be done in both thickness and surface area, the more from a time sense it seems prudent to use a larger canula. Typically 2.5 to 4 mm canulas are used on the body through 2-3 mm incisions. 1.5 mm canulas make sense in very small areas like the neck or jowls. The more superficial the fat is removed, a smaller makes sense here as well.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Liposuction cannula size

Liposuction is designed to remove fat and the process is meant to be minimally invasive and still efficient.

It makes sense that the smaller the cannula gets the smaller the incision, but the more time consuming the process, and the lower the volume of fat removed. For this reason there is a balence between cannula size and efficiency, as facility fees/hospital fees are dependent on operating theatre time the procedure can not take all day or the costs would increase.

So in reality small cannulas may sound appealing but in the end may not produce the best result. Each surgeon will have their technique and cannula choice though so talk to your surgeon.

I hope that helps

Jeremy Hunt    

Liposuction and cannulas

Most cannulas used on the abdomen are either 3 or 4 mm in diameter. A  1.5 mm cannula is very small and may be difficult to use to treat such a large area.

Liposuction with tiny canulas

Yes it is possible to do liposuction of isolated parts of the abdomen with a tiny canula.  If you chose a small canula that is used in the neck region then obviously the incision is slightly smaller.  It would be rare a patient would complain about the scar if the incision is 1.5 mm vs 2.5 mm.  The scars are so small that when its healed it would be indistinguishable.  Another option is to use a Smartlipo laser canula which is about 1 mm.  The fat can be removed with the laser and a tiny canula used to removed the liquefied fat.  This if assuming we are not doing the whole abdomen as it would literally take many hours to do with a tiny canula.

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon