Pain, Discoloration and Indentations After Liposuction in Legs

I had a Liposuction in my legs and though it had slimmed them down, there has now been greyish discolorations, bruises and indentations from the incisions. The skin under the bandages are different in color than the rest of my leg. I can also see asymmetry and feel pain in all areas that were worked on. I did this to help boost my body image. But why are all these happening?

Doctor Answers 6

Recovery after Lipo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas in the early post operative period and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed.
As you heal, the suctioned area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging those areas will hasten their softening. As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first several days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you are recently post op.  You must give healing time to work for you.  During this time you will have asymmetry, bruising, swelling, discolorations, lumps an bumps.  You will need to wait around 3 months to see a good result, and final results may take a year or longer.




{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Everything you are describing is normal in the immediate postoperative period (first 3 weeks). I suggest you speak with your surgeon who can alleviate some of your concerns. Asymmetry is also normal since swelling is not symmetric. I usually tell my patients that it takes about 6 weeks for 80% of the swelling to subside and another 2-3 months for the remaining 20%. Surgery is trauma to the body and it just takes time to feel "normal" again. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Critical question is when did you have this done...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The question is how far along in your recovery you are...unfortunately, the era of Dr 90210 makes many patients think that recovery is faster than it actually is... Its not unusual for patient to see asymmetry in the first couple weeks that disappears as their recovery progresses.

I typically tell my patients that they will see 70% of the improvement after liposuction in the first month. The inner thighs often take longer than that to start looking good.

Hang in there and try not to be too critical early on in your recovery.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

It's too early

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The full effect of liposuction will not be appreciated until about 6 months after surgery. If you have bandages on than you're still way too early to be critical of the results. There is still moderate to significant swelling, bruising etc. So continue to wear the garment as much as possible and be patient.

Liposuction post-op

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your concerns are normal. I assume this is early post-op. If so, be patient. The bruising will subside and the irregular swelling will more than likely even out and improve. If this is late post-op more than a few weeks, I would definitely review your results with your doctor.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.