I'm having liposuction done in the Dominican Republic, can my family doctor prescribe pain medication?

Can/will my family doctor prescribe them to me. Do I show my family doctor the emails and my quote so they don't think I'm lying or something. Also I'm getting a bbl. I'm staying in the Dominican Republic for 10 days . How long should I wait to go back to school. Considering I would be sitting in class for a while and don't want the projection of my butt to go down.

I can only agree with the surgeons, it is the responsibility of the surgeon performing the surgery to provide you with any medication prior to your surgery as well as any post operative instructions.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Management of pain after liposuction is the responsibility of the surgeon.

I don't think it's fair for patient to impose upon their family practitioner for pain relief after elective cosmetic surgical procedure. This is the responsibility of the surgeon.

Liposuction and Pain Medications

Your surgeon should provide you with all the necessary medications for before and after surgery.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Plastic surgery and travel

Like most other surgery, it's not a good idea to travel right after serious plastic surgery.  It is also not a good idea to have your surgery in one place and have another doctor prescribe the medications related to it.  Although often things may turn out all right, enough can go right that if something happens you'll have no options other than to turn to emergency rooms.  Most doctors will not accept the responsibility of taking care of complications from another doctor's treatment.  So please be careful, and do your homework.  Someitmes, no surgery is better than cheap surgery.

Liposuction in Dominican Republic

Your treating physician should provide you with the appropriate medications for your surgery. Best to ask your surgeon. Good luck.

Liposuction in DR

I would caution anyone against having Plastic Surgery abroad. The Medical facilities may not be standardized or accredited.You should choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon . Furthermore,if you have any complications, how can the surgeon help you so far away? The responsibility for prescription medications lies with the doctor who does the surgery.

Burr von Maur, MD

Liposuction in DR

OMG - think twice about your plan! Travel and cosmetic surgery are not a good combination! The facility may not be properly accredited or sterilized. And what if you have problems after you come home - who will you followup with? Plastic surgery care is beyond the scope of what a primary care doctor is familiar with.
Our national society does not endorse medical tourism, which is what this is. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and can find one on plasticsurgery.org. The board certified plastic surgeon may actually be able to get close to the price you were planning to pay.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Medications for your surgery out-of-the-country

You have chosen to have your plastic surgery in another country and your surgeon is the one responsible for prescribing all necessary medications and reviewing all your pre-op and post-op instructions.  Your primary care doctor should not be prescribing your medications because he/she can not be expected by you to assume the responsibility for this.

Your surgeon should be caring for you

Your plastic surgeon is responsilbe for your cre before, during and afer surgery.  This includes any preperation before surgery such as medications as well as treating any complications or dissatisfaction that come up aftr surgery.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Multiple doctors to support medical tourism wishes.

Your family doctor may feel comfortable writing for your prescriptions but it immediately raises the questions as to why your surgeon where you are having your surgery done doesn't write all necessary prescriptions.  From your concern about sitting in class and decreasing the projection of your butt, I'm assuming you are having fat grafting of your buttocks.  The fact that you are traveling some distance, to undergo a number of procedures (at least one, ? the fat grafting, which is not known from stable long term results) and your doctor where you are having surgery ?won't/ ?can't write you prescriptions should raise some concerns.  Will you be returning to your original surgeon if you have complications or do you have a plastic surgeon here who would be willing to treat any complications?  Good planning is essential.