Liposuction for Bulge Above and Below Hip Line?

I had total hip replacement on March 2008, Now, I have a big bulge above and below the hip line. Would Liposuction help? If not, what would you suggest? Picture doesn't really show how much of an indent I have, but it is quite large. Thank you for any help.

Doctor Answers 3

You more likely need scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although liposuction may help, it is not likely that the THR caused the localized fat accumulation.

More likely is that you have a tethered scar. This happens quite frequently with C-sections and women complain of localized fat when the scar is really at fault.

You may be better off undergoing scar release or revision. Liposuction may be used as an adjunctive procedure to enhance the result.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Liposuction will help; Maybe Fat Grafting too

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Liposuction of the 'bulging' areas combined with fat injection grafting to the indented areas may help to even the area off. You will probably want to have liposuction to the opposite side to attain optimal symmetry.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD
Boston Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and fat injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A contour deformity of this type can be treated quite nicely with liposuction of the fat above and below the indentation and injecting that fat in the valley. It may require more than one treatment.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.