Just Liposuction or Tummy Tuck / Gynecomastia Removal?

I lost 90 pounds over a year and a half when I was 18. I have gynecomastia from being overweight when I was in puberty. I am now 23. I'm finally in a place where I can look into surgery to improve my excess skin/fat. I have tried very hard to diet/excercise further with little results over the years. What do I need? Would combining surgery reduce the cost? I live in Chicago.

Combined Gynecomastia Reduction and Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

What is have is fairly classic for a young male that has lost a significant amount of weight. You need a 'male' tummy tuck to remove the loose lower abdominal skin. Tummy tucks in men differ from women in that no muscle manipulation is needed. This reduces one's postoperative pain considerably. From a chest standpoint, breast tissue needs to be removed but there is a skin excess issue also. That is a skin issue that is more difficult to manage as scars on a male chest are not well tolerated. One option is to just do liposuction and see what happens with the skin with the understanding that it is unknown and a secondary revision may be needed. The other option is to commit to a periareolar (around the nipple) skin removal with the liposuction. Which choice is best for you needs to be discussed thoroughly during a consultation. Either way, both gynecomastia and the tummy tuck can be combined in the same surgery

About the Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques with Tummy Tuck

It is not uncommon to combine a tummy tuck with male breast reduction. There are three types of surgical treatment options available to treat gynecomastia. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Male Tummy Tuck!

Thank you for your question and photo!  You would benefit from a male tummy tuck.  I advise you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified  Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Loose chest and abdominal skin after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Overall, I think your torso looks great for having lost 90 pounds!  Based on your photos, it appears that you do have some loose skin around your midsection.  If you'd like, you can address that with a tummy tuck, and you probably could have a skin only tummy tuck without any surgery on your muscles. I don't think you need liposuction of your abdomen.

The chest area is much trickier in men, as most men prefer not to have scars on their chest.  Liposuction alone would probably make your skin even more loose than it is now.  You may be a candidate for a periareolar lift, if you're ok with a scar.

I advise you to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your situation in more detail. Congratulations on your weight loss and I wish you all the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and abdominoplasty after weight loss

There is a lot of laxity in your skin. Definitely an abdominoplasty would be indicated. If the laxity of your breast skin is comparable to the abdomen, liposuction alone would result in hanging of the skin. This can only be determined on examination but I suspect that you might benefit more from resection of gynecomastia with a circumareolar approach.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Surgery after Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! Thank you for posting your photos. It looks like you would benefit from a tummy tuck (to remove the excess skin around the abdomen area) and also gynecomastia surgery as well.  Please visit a well experienced plastic surgeon for consultation for more exact information because different options may be recommended for your chest to remove the excess skin.

After weight loss, the skin elasticity changes so your surgeon will need to take that into consideration.  Pricing differs in each surgeon's office but usually when multiple procedures are performed, pricing is discounted.

Good Luck!

Tummy Tuck and Gynecomastia Removal after weight loss

From your pictures, I would suggest a mini tummy tuck and surgical removal of the gynecomastia and excess skin. However, only a personal consultation can decide exactly what is best. You have too much loose skin in the abdomen for liposuction alone. If your upper abdominal skin is as loose, you may need a full abdominoplasty. With as much breast prominence as you have after the weight loss, you very likely have significant hard breast tissue that cannot be removed with liposuction alone. In addition, you have enough excess skin in the breast area that you will also need removal of some of it.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery after Weight Loss

You are not alone.  After the great accomplishment of loosing weight, people are often left with loose hanging skin and decide to take the next step which is plastic surgery to remove the unwanted tissue.  In your case, based on your pictures, I thing you would benefit the most from a fully abdominoplasty / tummy tuck and aggressive liposuction of your chest.  This will help remove your lax abdominal skin and reduce your gynecomastia.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Body contouring after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Based on your photos, it appears as though you would need a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin.  Liposuction is only really successful if you have good skin tone and elasticity.  Although you're young, the weight loss has caused the skin to become too loose to perform liposuction with much success.  I'd have to examine your chest area to comment further on the gynecomastia, but you may also require some skin removal in that area as well.

I recommend consulting with a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area to have a more thorough examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD