Liposculpture: Will I see results within 3 months?

i had my liposculpture to my abdomen and love handles 4 weeks ago and today when i look at my body i can see a bit change but its not what i ever expected i thought ill look better and my muscles will show up but now im having a loose skin and i dont like the shape and my doctor keeps telling me that these are fluids and i have to continue my LPG massage sessions and i will see the final results within three months. Is that true? i need an answer to make sure im on the right track

Iposculpture: Will I see results within 3 months?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Liposuction results

When liposuction is done correctly on someone who is a good candidate, nice improvements are usually seen at four weeks. From there, it only gets better. It's true it takes several more months to get the final results, but the changes become smaller and smaller as time goes on. If someone does not see a significant improvement at four weeks, they often will not be thrilled with the results at six months.  

The happiest patients after liposuction are usually pleased with their results at four weeks, and it just gets better.

In my experience, patients who do not see great results at four weeks will not be happy with their results long-term.

In my opinion, dissatisfaction from liposuction comes from:
  1. Patients being told that they should expect great results when they are not good candidates. 
  2. Patients choose liposuction instead of a better procedure such as a tummy tuck (some patients need liposuction while others need a tummy tuck).
  3. Not enough fat was removed (better than too much fat removed, leaving disfigurement)
  4. Liposuction was done unevenly (often repairable). 
Having done this type of work for a while, my intuition says that you have children, you had some loose skin in the first place and you thought this procedure would fix everything. Liposuction only removes fat. If the diagnosis is anything else or more than just having too much fat in the wrong place, then liposuction is either limited to what it can produce or not the correct procedure.

Your doctor is correct when he or she says you will see your final results later.

I think everyone agrees it takes longer than four weeks to get final results after liposuction.

The real questions are: will you will get what you had anticipated and does that match what was promised?  

I hope the answers to my last two questions are yes and yes.

Results do take time, and time makes many things better.

For now, try to be patient.

I hope your final results match what you wanted!

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Results After 3 Months?

Thank you for your question. The final result is about 80-90% there at 6 months, but a full 12 months to see the final result. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

3 to 6 months for the outcome

After liposuction, it takes at least three to six months to see the results.  At one month, the more you do for yourself with respect toddies and exercise, the better your outcome.

Your doctor is right. I tell my patients to expect their result from 2-3 months onwards. You may still see good contour change up to 6 months after the procedure. The skin in your back, is the thickest skin in  your body. It takes time to adhere to your torso. You can aid that by wearing your compression garment correctly and long enough. The LPG massage, certainly helps.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS