Compression Garment Leaving Ridges After Thigh Liposuction

I had lipo to inner and outer thighs and the canula went to just above the knee area. I have been fitted with too short garments- they stop just below panty line and the hospital can't get me any longer ones (knee length) until 6 days post op. I have ridges where these high thigh compression garments stop. All I want to know is- when I get the proper garments, will these ridges disappear? I thought wearing the garments helped with the aesthetic look and am worried about outcome.

Ridges Because of Compression Garment

If caught early and treated, probably not. Compression garments type and when applied varies from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon and not dependent usually on the type of lipo performed. In my practice, A compression garment placed in surgery immediately after liposuction (steristrip protects the sutures) is recommended and beneficial after liposuction because:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.
If bulging ridges above or below, creases or bands are present then you probably need to change garments - see your plastic surgeon.
It is common to have weight gain due to edema, serum that collects in the area, and the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially, the quicker this fluid resolves.
Edema: a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office. For Small or moderate amounts of liposuction it probably doesn't make a difference if a garment is used or not.

Compression garments for liposuction can help the healing

Compression garments have not been reported to leave permanent marks, but can help expedite the healing and in some patients, make it more comfortable during the healing process.  Once you get the proper fitting garment, the contour should become smoother.  Make sure you contact your surgeon so he or she can evaluate your condition, sooner rather than later.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Garment?

Once you get the proper fitting garments the “ridges” will disappear. There should be no long-term effects from the previous garment. It may also be helpful to massage out any irregularities/ridges that currently exists.

Liposuction

Compression garments usually do not leave ridges if the fit properly. You may need to get a different garment. Speak to your plastic surgeon

David L. Abramson, MD

Postliposuction Compression Garment

Post-lipo compression garments are NOT supposed to cause indentations or grooving at the site of your liposuction. I'd remove what you have now and at least go with wide ACE wraps until you can get another garment. Your surgeon should be able to help you with this immediately. Otherwise, I have my patients use garments from Marena. You can order their garments online at marenagroup.com and use fast shipping. Make sure the garments go above and below the areas of your liposuction, and keep in mind that some swelling that occurs in the calves and feet is to be expected as well. Good luck!

Derek Lou, MD

Compression garment leaving ridges after liposuction

Compression after liposuction is a very important part of achieving the final result.  If your garment does not fit properly, you should speak to your surgeon about getting one that does fit correctly to maximize your chances of having a great result.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Wearing an ill fitted garment is a mistake. Order a full length garment from this site or over the internet with an overnight delivery. The dents or waves are due to the shortness of the garment you are using. If you were my personal patient I would have you sop wearing this garment.