I Had Lipo Under General and Had 3.5 Liters Removed. I Have Lumpiness and Uneven Skin at my Bikini Line? (photo)

How long do I wait before I should consider a revision? Had the procedure done on 3/4/13. Today I'd 5/15/13

I Had Lipo Under General and Had 3.5 Liters Removed. I Have Lumpiness and Uneven Skin at my Bikini Line?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Revision after liposculpture

Thank you for your question. It's been long enough that you can now have revision if you wish.

Options include touch up liposuction of the high areas with fat transfer to the low areas. Another option is tummy tuck or full abdominoplasty.

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation.

I hope this helps. Best wishes!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Yoir result is a complication of liposuction, uneven skin contracture. Maybe laser lipo or Thermigen RF can improve but you need to wait 6 months before having more surgery. 

This swelling and irregularity may resolve to the point that you may not need revision.  I would wait at least another month to see if there is improvement.  If there is, then you should wait another month or two.  If you need a revision, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lumpiness after lipo

The longer you can wait the better. I would say a minimum of 6 months. You want the scar tissue that develops after lipo (under the skin) to soften as much as possible as well as allow all of the swelling to resolve. Most likely you will need a revision but it may be fairly minor and can be done under local anesthesia with or without slight sedation. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Healing takes at least 6 months to stabilize

Before any revision I would wait at least 6 months.  The healing process can take anywhere from 6 months and possibly up to a year to be complete.   There are some liposuction pictures on the link below which have been taken after healing process has stabilized.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon