Is Lip Augmentation the Procedure to Broaden Lips?

What type of procedure is needed to have more of the "red" portion of the lip be exposed?

Doctor Answers 3

There are multiple ways to enhance the lips.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What one does to enhance the lip is dependant on what the problem is. The most common problem is elongation of the upper lip and loss of fat between the skin and the muscle. This causes the red part of the lip to disappear and wrinkles of the skin. You also lose the normal vertical (philtral) columns above Cupid’s bow. Although you can place an implant in the lip to plump it and make the red portion more prominent, I have almost given up this method since there is no really good, reliable implant. Instead of a surgical implant, I now use the new longer lasting fillers that not only fill the lip to make the red more prominent, but redefine the philtral columns and refill the areas of lost fat that reduces the crinkly wrinkles. If the problem is only elongation of the lip, then there are minor procedures that can correct this permanently by removing a strip of skin along the lip edge or under the nose.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Showing more lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To give a more pouty look to the lips, fillers can be used to give this result. This will produce a temporary result that could last for 6 months to a year.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Juvederm or Restylane or Implants bring out the red portion in the lips

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Temporary fillers such as juvederm or restylane ($550-600/syringe) or permanent implants ($1500-2000 per lip) both bring out the red portion of the lips very nicely and are easy to get and look great.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.