I am 44 years old and I just quit smoking, I have the vertical lines above my lips; what should I do? (Photo)

Which is better botox,restyline,or juvederm

Filler, Botox, and Laser Rejuvenation for Lines Around Mouth

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. Vertical lip lines can be difficult to treat but you are a great candidate for several treatments to improve the appearance of these lines. First, a small amount of Botox placed in the proper location can help reduce the movement that creates these wrinkles in the first place. This will primarily prevent these lines from worsening going forward. A second option is to inject a hyaluronic acid filler, such as Restylane Silk or Belotero, into each individual line. This option has some downtime associated with it due to risk of bruising and swelling, however results are great and can last up 6 months. Lastly, for an overall, global treatment of these vertical lines, I recommend a full field resurfacing laser to the perioral region. This option has the most down time; however, it will offer the most substantial reduction of these lines. I recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs these procedures to get more information about what is right for you. 

Reducing Vertical Smoker's Lines

Thank you very much for your question and photograph; and congratulations on stopping smoking. There are several excellent, noninvasive options for eliminating the vertical smoker’s lines around your lips. A small amount of Botox Cosmetic can temporarily weaken the muscles around your lips, smoothing lines. The use of a dermal filler, such as Juvederm, can plump tissues, evening out these fine wrinkles. As the area around your mouth is delicate, it is important to seek the assistance of an experienced plastic surgeon. I would recommend that you schedule an in-person consultation appointment to find out more about your options to achieve the desired results. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Vertical lines above lips

Thank you for your question and congrats on quitting smoking! This is a great first step in preventing future lines around the mouth, in addition to bettering your overall health. There are many options to soften fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth. You can opt to use a hyaluronic acid filler, like Restylane Silk, which helps to fill in and smooth out those lines or a purified botulinum toxin like Botox to temporarily weaken the muscles that cause lines and wrinkles.  Other options include laser services, chemical peels, and microneedling.  Treatment is based on the severity and depth of the fine lines as well as you as a patient understanding what the various options can and cannot do. Making an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will provide you with a specialized treatment plan.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Lip lines

Currently there are many different types of fillers on the market,
Juvéderm™, Restalyne®, are just a few. After consulting with a medical
professional he/she should inform you of which products would best meet your
needs, based on the area and depth of the lines and wrinkles.  Depending on the depth, a few other options
to consider would be Co2 Treatments and Chemical Peels. Best of Luck and
congratulations on quitting!

Vincent A. Naman, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lines -- Fraxel/Co2 Laser, Deep Peel, Fillers, Botox, Microneedling

A combination approach may be needed to
resolve deep smoker's wrinkles. Lasers for resurfacing, dermal
fillers to smooth out wrinkles, and microneedling/PRP for collagen
replenishment. Botox might be needed to stop from reinforcing the
wrinkles. Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox around the lips

Thank you for your question plilly. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face a small amount of Botox can be placed around the lips to help with vertical lines around the lips. A very small amount of Botox must be used so that it does not affect the mouth when eating, speaking, and breathing. For this reason Botox around the lips provides subtle results. Other treatments in this area include Juvederm and fractional CO2 laser resurfacing. I find that a combination approach works best. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Vertical Lip Lines

It appears that your lip lines would benefit from a filler. Juvederm would be a great choice, but they all work well. Most will last about 9 months, maybe longer. Botox may help as well, but many patients don't like the sensation that Botox gives them there since it effects the muscle motion of the upper lip. A longer, more permanent option would be laser resurfacing with the erbiium laser or CO2 laser. The Halo laser can also greatly improve these lines without the downtime and risk of full field resurfacing. Anything less will have little impact on these lines.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Plastic SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoker lines on lips

Certainly a common occurrence.  I like to combine Botox in small amounts with Juvederm in the line itself.  I dilute the Juvederm so I can inject it in the skin instead of deeply.  In doing this the line can be filled in on the surface without giving you a bigger upper lip  I severe cases Fraxel can be done to reduce the lines not only in the lip but over the whole face.  Thanks for a great question

Smoker's lines

Dear pliliy:  #Smoker's lines are very common in those with a history of heavy smoking, but the good news is that you can improve them. You asked what the longest lasting treatment is, and I believe that you will get permanent improvement with a combination of Microneedling with PRP, with or without Pellevé or Ultherapy. All of these treatments boost the activity of your skin's fibroblasts, thus increasing all of the skin's connective tissue proteins. Topicals such as Alastin, Regenica or TNS, and Retinol can be very helpful in smoothing the lines and augmenting the response to the other treatment(s).I do not frequently inject the lines directly with fillers because this does not permanently improve the lines, and does not last more than a few months.  All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Smoking Lines Around Mouth

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on quitting smoking!! The vertical lines can easily be treated with Botox Juvederm combination. Laser is also an option to smooth the skin. Be sure your injector is a board certified plastic surgeon for best results. Regards,