I lifted a cast iron skillet 2 days after breast implantation surgery. I am very sore and swollen. Could I have caused damage?

Breast concerns after augmentation

are only concerning if your breast changes in size... anything else are symptoms that should improve with time.  But a change in breast size (usually with increasing pains) is the only issue that concerns me when my patients contact me.

Heavy lifting after surgery

Thank you for your question.  Sorry to hear about your swelling.  Photos can be helpful here.  Generally, most surgeons will tell their patients not to lift anything more than about 10 pounds for 4-6 weeks after a breast augmentation.   Any significant straining could potentially cause bleeding that results in a hematoma.  Best to check with your surgeon ASAP if you are concerned.  Good luck.  

Lifting heavy objects following surgery

As a rule, I tell my patients to not lift anything over 5 pounds for the first six weeks. I am not certain how much a cast iron skillet weighs, but if you are experiencing pain- I would definitely call your plastic surgeon's office and ask for their recommendations. Without an in-person examination, it's hard to know if there is any damage. Best of luck to you!

Fred Hackney, MD

Pain post augment

If you have any questions regarding your postop course I would strongly suggest you contact your surgeon to take a look at you. I tell all my patients I would rather hear from them and tell them all is OK rather than have a patient wait several days to contact me with a concern that may have been  more easily addressed if they had contacted me as soon as they had noted a potential issue.

Paul Buhrer, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sore

I'm sorry you are experiencing discomfort. It's impossible for me to answer your question without examining you or seeing photos. Contact your surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

#breastaugmentation #restrictionsafterbreastaugmentation

I would recommend having your PS check your breasts. I have lifting restrictions for my patients after surgery. You want to be able to rule out any hematoma.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common along with some pain at this stage. If it is hurting more now than before I recommend to talk to your PS for evaluation.

If you noticed a lot of swelling and soreness immediately after lifting the skillet, best to let your operating surgeon know so you can be seen ASAP and properly evaluated in person. Remember that most surgeons advise patients to avoid heavy lifting in the postop period. Good luck!