Would a breast reduction be worth it?

I am 5'3, 115, with 32G and was a sports junkie until my breasts grew. I currently have back and lower neck pain from my breasts. I have gone through some physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in my back but that's doing nothing to help my lower neck. Would it be worth it to look further into having a reduction?

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces AND lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall (in other words, the breasts are "automatically" lifted when a breast reduction is performed). By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.   Best to communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size by pictures.  Many patients wish to remove enough breast tissue to improve/alleviate symptoms while maintaining upper/lower body proportionality.  Pictures are very helpful to achieve this goal.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Take care, Dr Schwartz  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast reduction worth it

Because you are suffering from back and lower neck pain related to the size of your breasts, I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  During that appointment, you both can determine the best possible outcome of the reduction toward alleviating the back and neck pain and also determine the size of the breast most appropriate to your body type and sports activities.
Kenneth B. HughesBoard Certified Plastic SurgeonLos Angeles, CA

Would a breast reduction be worth it?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.  

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.    I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Would a breast reduction be worth it?

If you are limited by a heavy breast and suffer cervical neck strain breast reduction has very much to offer. Of all plastic surgery procedures, breast reduction has always had a very high "worth it" factor, and is often covered by insurance. No harm in a consultation to get the facts.

Would a breast reduction be worth it?

You have all the classic symptoms we see in patients with breast hypertrophy. Most patients who have the surgery will tell you those symptoms are gone immediately after the surgery. Was that worth it for them? Yes, of course it was. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Would breast reduction be of benefit

Breast reduction can be a very helpful for procedure for patients who have chronic neck and back pain.  I frequently tell patients that I wouldn't expect that we can get rid of all of your pain but that very frequently we can make a significant improvement in a portion of it. You also have the added benefit of a lift as well.   I think it is overall  One of our happiest surgeries and the comment that I hear most frequently as women say that I wish I had done this year's ago.

Jonathan Amspacher, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Your description sounds like someone who would be a perfect candidate for a breast reduction. You should see a plastic surgeonto be evaluated for this procedure.

Would a breast reduction be worth it?

Breast reductions are very popular and life changing surgeries because they free patients from the aesthetic and physical burden of large and heavy breasts. While there is not a way to guarantee that your neck pain will be resolved after a breast reduction (as it can be due to other problems as well), most plastic surgeons agree that reduction patients are some of the happiest patients we have in our practices. If you have not yet had children it can certainly impact your ability to breast feed, so some women choose to wait until they are done. 

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon