Lip Incompetence after chin implant. I can't close my lips when at rest. Any suggestions? (photos)

Initially I had medpor chin implant placed intraoraly. My lips meet,everything was fine. But as the swelling went down, I lost ability to close my lips at rest. Year after I had medpor removed & replaced with a silicone one. I still can't make my lips meet and force them to close. My upper lip haging over bottom lip. I can't understand if it's my lower lip being pulled down by the implant (if I remove it everything will go back to normal?) or my muscle was damaged when 1st implant was inserted?

Chin implant - mouth won't close now.

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.
  • I am sorry you have had such problems with your chin implant.
  • It is possible - as you suggest - that the implant is too large for your mouth -
  • If your surgeon cannot explain the problem, I suggest you get a second opinion and take your before photographs with you - the profile as well as the front view and copies of any x-rays that were done.
  • If you were seeing me in consultation and I couldn't fully assess the nerve and muscle function, I would also want you to have some nerve conduction studies to see if there were evidence of nerve damage affecting the function of the muscle.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS