What can I expect seven weeks after breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery?

I am scheduled for a breast reduction and tummy tuck on May 12. My family is going on a cruise on July 2. What can I expect as far as recovery at cruise time? Will I be able to enjoy myself or will I still be in pain? Will I be able to swim? Thank you!

Mommy makeover recovery at 7 weeks

Most of my patients return to work by 2 weeks. By 8 weeks they are doing full exercises. So by 7 weeks will will most likely be able to enjoy your cruise very well aid you plan relaxing activities, as there should be no pain at that point with daily activities. Ask you surgeon about their recommendations on you actively swimming before the 8 week mark if you plan on doing laps in the pool. Hope this helps and best wishes.

7 weeks after Mommy Makeover

Typically, by 7 weeks, you should be back to your normal activities. As long as you haven't suffered any post op complications, most patients can exercise, lift weights, and even soak their incisions (i.e. in a pool or tub) because the incisions are healed by this point. You will still be swollen from your tummy tuck so you may still want to wear your compression garment. Make sure you discuss this with your operating surgeon because every surgeon has a slightly different post op protocol. Good luck!

Recovery after mommy makeover with breast reduction and tummy tuck

Thanks for your thoughtful question.

I agree with the general comments mentioned by other physicians regarding your question.  In general the first 2 weeks will be the toughest to get through in terms of getting your energy back and moving around pretty well.  By 4 weeks you should be feeling pretty ok with some occasional soreness as long as you heal as expected.  In most cases patients are ok for vacation in 6-8 weeks after surgery.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Cruise @ 7 weeks postop

Thank you for your question.  It is possible that you will be in reasonably good shape for your vacation seven weeks after surgery as long as you don't have any wound healing complications.  You will still be swollen and have some discomfort, but you should be able to participate in most activities.  If you incisions are completely healed you will be able to swim.  If not, it is not advisable.  Discuss this matter further with your surgeon,  Best wishes.

Healing From a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

The breast reduction won't slow you down that long since most surgical pain comes from muscle manipulation and there is no muscle involved in the reduction. But if you are having your abdominal muscles tighted durint=g the TT, that will be the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. Most patients are pretty active by 7 weeks after surgery and I have no doubt you will enjoy yur cruise, but very physical activities aften take up to 3 months before they are comfortable.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD