I'd like a breast augmentation, but I've got breast cysts and fibrosis, and I'm 23. Is this possible?

I'm 5'5, 32B (ish) 130 pounds. I had lost a bunch of weight about 2/3 years ago, and now I'm left with these saggy empty looking breasts. I can't stand the way they look, and it definitely effects my sex life with my husband, and my self esteem. Recently my GYN told me that I have fibrous breasts, and recommended an ultrasound revealing cysts. My mother had a double mastectomy at 37 due to lobular breast cancer. She's getting genetic testing. what should my next step be? Mastectomy/augmentation?

Genetic testing

Having cysts and fibrocystic disease is not a contraindication for a breast augmentation but once you mother has had testing then you family physician and later a breast specialist can advise you if you need testing and then you can make further informed choices about risks and prophylactic mastectomy etc

Breast augmentation

Fibrocystic changes are not a contraindication to augmentation. I agree that you should wait until your mother's genetic testing comes back. If positive you may consider getting the genetic test as well. This may affect your subsequent decisions.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Path Ahead Based Upon Genetic Testing

Await the results of your mother's genetic testing; if the results are positive, consult with a breast specialist to determine if you should undergo genetic testing as well.  Based upon the outcome of your testing, hopefully negative, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  In and of itself, fibrocystic disease should not impact breast augmentation or the outcome of the surgery.  All the best!

Fibrocystic breasts:can I have an augmentation?

Fibrocystic breasts are relatively common and would not prevent you from having a breast augmentation.  With your family history of breast cancer, you will need breast examination more frequently.  You may also benefit from genetic testing.  However, you are still a candidate for the augmentation. From your description, you may also need a breast lift and an examination by a board-certified plastic surgeon would answer this.  

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Genetic testing may be a good idea. Otherwise, breast implants under the muscle may be a good option. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation with Cystic Breasts

I recommend that you see what your mothers test results are and also follow with a high risk clinic to keep a close eye on your breasts. Many women have fibrocystic breasts and get breast augmentation with great results. You can likely have a submuscular breast augmentation but would want to be cleared by a high risk breast surgeon first. Your family doctor can help you get the process started. Best wishes.

Breast aug and risk factors

You definitely want to wait for the results of your mom's genetic testing to come back before doing an augmentation.  If that comes back negative, and you are cleared based on ultrasound, the cysts and such do not preclude you from having surgery.  The implants are safe with future screening mammography, you just have to use standard but special techniques for imaging (nothing major).

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

Fibrocystic breasts and augmentation

Having fibrocystic breasts is not a contraindication to breast surgery and you may be a very good candidate for breast augmentation or augmentation-mastopexy.  However, you should consider genetic testing for yourself or at least a consultation with a breast surgeon or genetic counselor with such a strong family history.  Also, pre-operative imaging with mammogragm, ultrasound, or MRI should definitely be considered strongly.  Good luck!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Get the results of the testing first

Thank you for your question.  Fibrous breasts and cysts are not a contraindication to aesthetic breast surgery. However, it would be best to get the results of the tests before making a decision. Talk it over with your primary care physician.  Implants alone may not correct all of your issues as a lift may also be indicated for the best result. Be sure to see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I'd like a breast augmentation, but I've got breast cysts and fibrosis?

Fibrocystic breasts generally do not affect your ability to undergo breast augmentation surgery. I would suggest that you wait until the genetic testing has been completed, learn about the pros/cons associated with breast augmentation surgery, and select your plastic surgeon carefully (make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon can demonstrate lots of examples achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with) and communicate your goals  carefully as well. Best wishes.