Large scabs on cheek after Facelift procedure 1 month ago, ideas on how to heal them?

Approx a month ago had FL, Brow lift, and upper lid surgery. Ended up with 2 very large scabs (larger than a quarter on side of face) they dont want to seem to heal despite following docs orders to the letter - medicated ointment and bandages 24/7. This is beyond upsetting that I have had to deal with this. Would love to hear any comments from docs.

Scabs after facelift

this is a long time to still have scabs. Pleas send a picture and I can give you a better diea about what is going on .

all the best

Slow wound healing

Without seeing you in person or a photo, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. However, I would definitely advise that you schedule an appointment to see your surgeon to get these wounds assessed in person. If you don't smoke (which I hope you do not and which slows down healing), these scabs should be greatly improved even at 1 month post op...

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Not healing well after face lift a month ago

Thank you for asking about your poor healing after your face lift.

• Without a photo, one can only guess what is going on.
  • At times, there is slow healing of face lift incisions - most often in people who smoke.
  • You need to return to your surgeon for further assistance in treating the area.
  • It is discouraging but it will heal.
  • If you are a smoker - you must stop smoking or healing may take a very long time.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Loss of circulation

Skin necrosis resulting from loss of circulation could have many underlying causes.  Smoking often causes this type of problem, or you might have an underlying skin disorder.  You seem to be doing the best with your condition since it has happened.  The areas will heal and then you will need to wait for a prolonged period of time before considering any type of revision or laser treatment.  Good luck!

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like shingles

So after surgery, shingles can be reactivated. If the area is sentieve or painful then this is likely the cause. VZV is the causative virus.

My advice is to try a course of antiviral treatment and wait it out. There is no quick fix but will fade in time. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Healing problem after a facelift

Some minor healing issues after a face lift can occur, but typically they heal with no significant deformity.  It seems that in your particular case you had some circulatory issues to the skin of the cheek resulting in the scabs. With proper care the you should expect reasonable healing.  You could very well benefit some revision surgery after a few months of healing. You might consider a second opinion from a face lift expert to assure proper healing and possible revision surgery.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Photos will help

Photos will help with our analysis.

It seems you may have some skin necrosis due to poor circulatoin that is taking a long time as the tissues need to heal from underneath.