What factors determine tummy tuck scar placement, length and shape? (Photo)

I've seen such a variety of scar placement, shape and lenghth. It has been really hard for me to find someone that looks like me for me to gauge what my results maylook like. Ideally I would like my scar to be low as in a C-section and if needed curve upwards towards my hips, following the national crease of my thighs. Any thoughts ?

What factors determine tummy tuck scar placement, length and shape?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Tummy tuck incisions are placed as low as possible to be hidden beneath a woman's undergarment, typically in the area of a C-section scar.  The variability in position will then depend on the location of excess skin for patients, and their normal skeletal anatomy.  In most cases a gentle sweeping curve towards the upper portion of each hip bone.  As you have some excess adipose tissue in your love handle/waist region yours can extend further along your back to remove this area or liposuction can be performed to narrow this region.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck incision placement

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck incision is placed ideally such that it can be concealed by underclothing or swim wear. In women who have had a c-section, the tummy tuck can basically be viewed as extension of this incision in a gentle upward curve to the hip bone. Care is taken not to place the incision too high such that it would be visible above the waistline. Consult with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon in your area and explain your desires and expectations, and you will be able to make an informed, safe decision.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Good question.

Your scar can and should be that low, just below your C-Section scar in order to remove it entirely and leave you only with your new tummy tuck scar.

How high the scar is placed toward the hips depends a little on the type of panty or bathing suit style you prefer. Your plastic surgeon (and you) would ideally like that scar to stay hidden even in a two piece. 

Make sure you consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whose results in their before and after gallery give you confidence. Be open to one or more consultations until you are secure enough to schedule.

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Placement of the abdominal incision can affect the result that is achieved with an abdominoplasty. The scar placement should ideally be placed low enough to remove the C section scar and be concealed by bathing suits or underwear. It should be individualized based on your anatomy and desired outcome. Often longer incisions can result in a greater amount of skin removal and greater tightening of the tissue. The fullness on the flank area can be improved with conservative liposuction of that area at the time of the tummy tuck.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss the pros and cons of the various options and your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the good question. There are many factors involved when it comes to the exact "scarring" you see on different photographs. Sometimes, there is a difference because every plastic surgeon may have a different approach to placement of incision lines and exactly how the operation is performed. On the other hand, scars may differ because of different patient body types and because patients scar differently. Again, there are many variables involved.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Before/after photographs are helpful in this regard. You may also be able to meet/see/talk to previous patients who have had surgery with your plastic surgeon. Then, communicate your concerns/personal goals carefully as well. 

I find that marking patients the day before surgery, as much as possible, with the help of the patient's planned swimming suit or undergarment, helps when it comes to placement of incisions…

You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Thank you again for the good question.

Tummy tuck scar length and heighth

Thank you for your question and photo. Incision placement can be as low as a C section scar. In fact it generally travels as you've described out and upwards towards your hip and possibly above it slightly. It usually doesn't fall in the leg crease as the skin is very thin in this area. Additionally it's a functional area and thus a scar would be a challenge in this area. 

Gary Vela, MD, FACS

The best incision would be low with symmetric limbs and as short as possible.

Thanks for your question and photo.  You appear to be a very good candidate for a tummy tuck.  Your description of scar placement is what I typically do for my patients when performing a tummy tuck.  Scar placement as well as length and shape do depend on surgeon technique as well as the patient's body type and skin laxity.  Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to review his/her work and to get better information on potential scar placement for you.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD