I Would Like Tear Trough Injections. Am I a Suitable Candidate? (photo)

i'm only 22 but i've been thinking about tear trough injections to smooth out my under eye area. i have dark circles but am not concerned about that so much as the line/puffiness beneath my eye. i do have some fat (i think) beneath my eye, compounded by a deep tear trough. i think raising the trough would smooth it out and look much better. i have a consultation soon but am anxious that the only way to treat this would be surgery. do you think i'd be a candidate? how much would i need/cost in ny?

Doctor Answers 14

Tear trough treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Meeting and consulting with an experienced and well trained provider/injector should give you the answers you need. Looking at your photo's, you look like a great candidate for either Restylane or Juvederm to your tear troughs. Your age doesn't matter. A good correction of this area would provide you an overall rejuvenation to that area, lessening the dark shadows you see where the volume loss is.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Fillers work nicely for dark circles.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dark circles. We all hate them. Hyaluronic acid gel fillers work very nicely for prominent "tear troughs", or for the individual with an evacuated look to the under eye. Restylane seems to be the most popular filler in this part of the face. Juvederm or Perlane can be used, but I typically stay away from Radiesse in this area. Judging from your photos, it would appear you could be an excellent candidate for this treatment. It takes about 10-15 minutes to do and is very straightforward, especially if you've had fillers elsewhere in your face and you're familiar with them.  But even if this is your first time, its an easy place to begin. Start with small volumes and add more as needed! 

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Treating the tear trough with fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You appear to be a great candidate for tear trough filler with either juvederm or restylane, although without an upclose inspection (and feeling/moving the area) by a skin expert such as a dermatologist, I can't be 100% sure that you're a perfect candidate. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers and Volumizers Work Well For Tear Troughs, Bags, and Dark Circles Under the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Nowadays, in experienced hands, tear troughs, dark circles, crinkles, and bags are being routinely treated NONsurgically in a matter of minutes through the appropriate choices and uses of fillers and volumizing fillers (more robust injectables that provide volume, rather than simply fill wrinkles and lines.

It is often difficult from a photograph to determine exactly what product or combination of products would work best. It appears that there is some mild flattening (from loss of volume) in the area immediately below the tear trough, i.e. in that portion of the cheek closest to the nose. If this is indeed so, it would be advisable to restore some volume to that region in order to support the tear trough region above. My choice for this would be to instill a small amount of Perlane L. 

I would then treat the tear trough itself with a filler, such as Juvederm Ultra XC or Belotero, to which a tiny amount of Radiesse (a whititsh-colored volumizer) can be added to lo lighten the the dark circles, if these are at all troublesome. The very tiny amount needed to achieve lightening can yield very gratifying results for people plagued by what is sometimes referred to as "panda eyes" appearance, which can otherwise be very difficult to treat. An experienced injector is a must for this delicate area.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Tear trough treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Either surgery or filler injection would help with your dark circles.  They each have pros and cons.  The recommended option depends on your specific anatomy and amount of lower eyelid fat in your case and your desire to either do surgery or want to avoid surgery.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and discussion.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Restylane or Belotero would be perfect for your tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane, Belotero or perhaps Radiesse would be good fillers for your tear troughs.  You look like a good candidate but as the other physicians have mentioned, you must go to someone very experienced in treating this area.  Where I practice in Orange County Restylane is probably the most commonly used filler for this area.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 217 reviews

Restylane for tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You would be a good candidate for Restylane injections for the tear trough area.  Make sure you consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is experienced in treating this area.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Hmmm. Yes absolutely you will do great with under eye fillers.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

However, this treatment calls upon your injector to sculpt your face.  You can't just go to anyone.  Even here, doctors have make some inaccurate statements regarding these services.  I have one of the largest practices of under eye fillers in the world.  Understand that these products are very flexible and can be adjusted long after the treatment.  These treatments can replace surgery because the effects last up to three years! Looking at your photos you need about 1.5 ml of filler on each side or a total treatment volume of 3 ml.  Again, do your homework.  Who you go to makes a very big difference.  WIth the right injector, you will love this treatment.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

I Would Like Tear Trough Injections. Am I a Suitable Candidate?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes use Restylane as it is very short lasting and you can repeat if you like the appearance. Must be a very expert injector 

Juvederm Ultra works well for under eye hollows if very carefully done.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Based on your pictures, you look like an excellent candidate for filler injections into the tear troughs.  Tiny amounts of filler are deposited DEEPLY under the muscle to create a smooth result.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.