Do I Need a Lift? Silicone or Saline? (photo)

My ps thinks I need a benelli lift. I didn't really want one right now. I want to be a very large d/small dd. I was going to go with 500cc silicone under the muscle. I am 5'8 145lbs and currently wear a 36 c. My ps wants to do saline and not silicone. Is there a reason why? Will 500 cc get me where I want to be with or without a lift?

Do I need a lift? probably....

Gigi, the questions you are asking are best answered by someone what has examined you, so my opinion is probably not as informed as the opinion of your plastic surgeon.  A 500 cc implant is very large, and may make your postop bra size much larger that a large D to small DD.  Patients usually go up a cup size for every 150-200 cc of implant.  Your pictures seem to show grade 2 ptosis of your breasts, since your nipple seems to be at your submammary fold.  In my experience, patients with grade 2 ptosis have better results with a benelli lift than without one.  Saline implants are considerably less expensive than gel-filled implants.  Since you seem to have enough breast tissue to camoflage the implants,  I think you would have a great result with saline, so your plastic surgeon may be trying to reduce your cost.   The benefits of gel-filled implants include better softness and less wrinkling (rippling).  These benefits may be less apparent when the patient has a lot of breast tissue.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Bennelli lift - yes or no

Please do your research regarding Bennelli lifts - it is a procedure which often results in spread areaolaes, which can be difficult to correct.

Breast lifts

Hi GigiM33; your arm position is giving you a virtual lift so you are really proving the point that you probably need a mastopexy of some type. The problem is that you have glandular ptosis in that the majority of your breast tissue is at the lower part of your breast which is an elongated cone. There is too much skin for the breast volume to lift and support the breast shape.  A 500 cc implant is a big implant and will likely put you in the DD range. In order for the implant alone to support the breast, it has to be low enough on the breast to push the nipple up and forward because if it isn't than the breast will look like a double bubble with the implant higher than the nipple; not a good look.  Likewise a 500cc saline has more risk of falling out of the breast, causing rippling and distortion over time. In order to recommend what size of implant and type of mastopexy you should consider a second opinion from other plastic surgeons. .   

Do I Need a Lift? Silicone or Saline?

It is impossible to know whether you need a breast lift based on your photo as your arms are raised. The choice of implant, however, is clear: a silicone gel implant is your best option. Saline implants, especially in larger sizes, are heavy and show a great deal of rippling. Good luck!

Lift?

It is difficult to give you advice on your photos with your arms raised which lifts the breasts.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Implant or Lift or Both ?

Thank you for your question and photo.  If you use a large implant, such as the 500 cc that you have chosen, without a lift your result will not last long.  The effect of gravity on that size will eventually  result in a loss of shape and poor positioning of your nipple-areo;ar complex..  Be open to other choices that might have a better long term outcome. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Only one posted photo with arms extended, none with arms at side! Very hard to respond to you. Obtain more IN PERSON consultations to address these issues. 

Do I Need a Lift? Silicone or Saline?

It is not possible to comment on your question with the enclosed photo which shows the breasts lifted by arm position. Please resubmit with photos where the arms are at your side.As to saline or silicone, it is basically the same look but the silicone certainly feels more natural. The implant size determination requires an examination.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You don't need a Benelli lift

You have mild to moderate ptosis but you wish to be quite full.  If the implant is properly centered and the inframammary fold is lowered your nipples will be centered.  If you go with 500 cc then the skin will be under considerable tension and doing a Benelli lift will place the incision under a lot of tension which has a greater risk of stretching the areolas out if any of the sutures from the Benelli lift fail or extrude.  500 cc will get you to the large D or DD range and I would stick with a 500 cc or larger silicone implant that matches your base width.  Moderate profile saline implants are terrible because they ripple and HP saline implants are too narrow for your frame.  A narrow based implant will leave a larger gap between the breasts so I would go with a silicone implant that has the proper base width for your frame. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Lift Would Improve Result

Thank you for your picture.  I think a Benelli lift will give you a nice result.  I do believe a 500 cc implant is too large given that you have adequate breast tissue to begin with.  I like saline implants in cases of asymmetry.  I can place different volumes in each breast to achieve symmetry.

Dr. ES