Do I have to wear garment more than 3 weeks and what is the best think to do with swelling, do I have to use diuretic ?

I'm 32 year old I Did liposuction in my abdomen,chest and flanks 3 weeks ago and I've wearied garment for 3 weeks but there is still a little of swelling and fluid in my flanks i did puncture 2 times and i fell my skin is wrinkled and there is lump pain and numbness in my abdomen and flank I did massage,ultrasound and lymphatic drainage about 12 set ,is it better to wear garment more ?or still do massage only and what is the best cream to disappear the scars of the incision of the operation.

Swelling after lipo

It will probably take a few weeks to months for swelling to subside. You can assess your results at 3-4 months.

Wear your compression garment as advised by your surgeon. I don't think you need a diuretic, as your body will naturally deal with swelling. You can help by walking at a leisurely pace, drinking plenty of fluids and cutting back on sodium intake. You can try silicone gel or silicone sheeting for your scars.

Compression Garments

You should wear the compression garments for as long as your surgeon has suggested usually about 6 weeks.  I suggest Biocornium scar gel for your scars.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Swelling after liposuction

You should definitely follow up with your surgeon to make sure you don't have any more seromas. Also you may consider more deep tissue massage. Most importantly, time is on your side. With time your scarring will improve and so will your contour. Good luck!

Garment Wear After Liposuction

A compression garment placed in surgery immediately after liposuction (steristrip protects the sutures) is recommended and beneficial after liposuction because:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.
If bulging ridges, creases or bands are present above, within or below your garment, then you probably need to change garments - see your plastic surgeon.
It is common to have weight gain due to edema, serum that collects in the area, and the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially, the quicker this fluid resolves.
Edema: a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office.
Diuretics are not recommended and will have no influence on your final result.
Any Silicone based scar cream like BioCorneum or ScarGuard for scars works well to minimize scarring.

No diuretic needed

You should wear your garment for the time your surgeon tells you. Your body works to resolve swelling naturally, so you don't need a diuretic.

Compression

The compression garment is the best way to help reduce the swelling.  At three weeks it is also very early after surgery.  I would not rely on message or other active techniques at this point.  Diuretics are unnecessary.  

No evidence compression garments have any effect on outcome of liposuction.

You should wear your garments as long as your surgeon instructs although there is no objective evidence that compressive garments have any beneficial effect.