What is wrong with my left eyelid? How can it be fixed? (Photo)

The difference in my left eye-lid from my right is very noticeable and annoys me a great deal. What is the cause of this difference and what possibilities are there to fix it so it is symmetrical to my right eye-lid?

Doctor Answers 6

Eyelid asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The difference of the levels of your eyelids is caused by a common problem called ptosis of the left upper eyelid. The left upper eyelid is almost touching the pupil of the eye, while the right eyelid is somewhat higher and farther away from the pupil. The droopy eyelid on the left combined with the higher eyelid crease is classic for ptosis. The ligament that connects the upper eyelid muscle to the firm part of the lid (tarsal plate) is not uncommonly stretched or detached which causes the muscle to work harder to lift the eyelid. With a detached or stretched ligament (levator aponeurosis), the lid won't lift as far as the other side which causes the asymmetry. It is a common problem and best treated by a specialist is Facial Plastic, Plastic Surgery, or Oculoplastic surgeon.

John Standefer MD

What is different with left eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Judging by your picture the left upper
eye lid seems longer than the right.
This may be ptosis. The treatment 
will be determine based on the type
of ptosis. I sugest you will be evaluated
 by a board certified plastic surgeon or
an oculoplastic surgeon for diagnosis
and treatment options.

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 Thank you for your question. This condition is referred to as upper eyelid ptosis. It can have several causes, but is usually related to a stretching of the tissues attached to the muscle that elevates the eyelid. There are surgical procedures designed to address this problem.  I would suggest that you consider seeing an oculoplastic surgeon. 

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

What's going on with the eyelids?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for posting your concerns and photos. You clearly have ptosis (drooping) on an eyelid which can easily be corrected with one of several techniques used by Oculoplastic Surgeons. See an experienced doctor for in office evaluation and discussion of treatment plan.
Good luck,

Eyelid ptosis causing eye asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation of left upper eyelid ptosis (droopy upper eyelid). There are various causes. Treatment is possible through eyelid ptosis surgery. See video and link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Simple ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The difference in the left eye versus the right eye in the photo is a simple ptosis. In order to fix this droopy left lid you're looking at a ptosis surgery. This type of surgery is relatively simple. To properly address the possible causes of this is way beyond the comprehension of this forum and my recommendation to you would be to see an oculoplastic surgeon to properly diagnose the cause. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.