Waiting for appointment to see if implant is leaking. 1 week from now. Should this be an issue that I'd need to be seen sooner?

I have an appointment to be seen (not sure on the process to determine if issue is urgent) in a week, but feel like if there was a chance of silicone leaking, the DR office would try and see me sooner. Other then odd sensations (irritating), I have felt dizzy on and off and had nausea. Is this a standard time frame in possible urgent situation (IMO)? Also, Any recommendations for experienced explanation surgeons in KY or bordering states?

Implants leak

Thank you for your question. Implants leak is not an emergency. The symptoms describing are not typical of implant rupture. Please is your Primary care physician for evaluation and to continue to follow with PS.

Not urgent

This is not urgent and the symptoms you are describing are not consistent with implant rupture.  If you need to be be seen earlier, call your doctor's office.

Concerns Over Possible Leaking Implant

The symptoms you describe are not typical of a leaking implant. And, with the new generation silicone implants, there is little if any "leaking", as the silicone is firmer and more cohesive. This means that the silicone stays together and does not leak or ooze out of the implant shell the way older style implants did. While it is important for you to follow up and see your doctor regarding your concerns a leak is not an emergency situation where you cannot wait a week to be seen by your plastic surgeon. You may want to see your primary care physician and run your symptoms by him/her as soon as possible, however, to address the dizziness and nausea.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant rupture

Implant rupture is not an emergency.  For silicone implants, it is best determined with MRI.  If the implant is leaking, your doctor can help plan a time in the near future to exchange it.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon