Do I need to have a vertical incision scar to get a flatter tummy? (photos)

So I am 4 1/2 months post op and am concerned about the results. I spoke with my physician and he is saying I would probably need to do a vertical incision to tighten my skin that has fallen after my procedure. I do not want and I strongly feel that a proper revision would take care of the issue. I am very confused and plan to go back to again express my feelings.

Tummy tuck - do I need a vertical incision

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • You still seem to have a lot of loose skin -
  • Without a photo of how things were before, it's hard to know how much a revision can do.
  • If you had a great deal of loose skin, a vertical incision may be the better choice -
  • But if you don't want that, you can have a revision of the existing tummy tuck and hope you see improvement.
  • It's always smart to get a second opinion before having more surgery if your first surgeon left you confused and upset - take your pre-op photos and operative report to the second opinion.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Technique is a matter of opinion

Sorry to hear you have not had your hopes fulfilled by your tummy tuck surgery. Technical questions are difficult to answer without examining you first. If you have a great deal of skin such as after massive weight loss many surgeons feel that vertical incisions are helpful.

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision

Thanks for your inquiry, but without a full exam it is hard to advise.  I suggest you visit with another surgeon besides your operative surgeon to get opinions.  Good Luck. 

Vertical Revision of Tummy Tuck?

Thanks for your question and photos.  Unfortunately, it is tough to offer a qualified opinion without an in person examination.  I would recommend you visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area in addition to your operating surgeon to get a few opinions.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

A vertical incision?

To answer a question like this, it is very difficult to do so without and examination. From your photographs, it seems to me like I would approach this definitely without a vertical incision. I consider that you could get a very nice results without What I consider a very ugly scar.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon