What are the pros and cons of ThermiTight versus Ulthx for the face? I am in my late 50's.

Which procedure has more risks such as scarring, how long results last, number of treatments needed and cost comparison?

Ultherapy vs. ThermiTight for Facial tightening in my NYC practice

Ultherapy uses external deep focused ultrasound energy to tighten facial tissues. It is non invasive and the downtime for most patients is negligible although a small number develop bruising which goes away within two weeks on average. There may be some tenderness and slight swelling. The procedure produces new collagen for more than six months after the procedure and the results may last more than a year or two. ThermiTight is minimally invasive and heats up the infrastructure of the skin and connective tissue of the face more than Ultherapy so the results may show greater lifting with ThermiTight and fat can be dissolved in the neck with ThermiTight but not Ultherapy. Both treatments have the risk of a temporary nerve weakness making an open mouth motion look unequal. I am not aware of any permanent case of such, and most seem to resolve within weeks. I have found this temporary situation to be more prevalent in ThermiTight than Ultherapy. Bruising and swelling can be more substantial in ThermiTight than Ultherapy. Risk of a burn exists with both but is extremely uncommon but slightly greater with ThermiTight than Ultherapy.There are multiple variables that determine for a particular patient which treatment may be better for them and that is why I consult on all my patients in my NYC practice who seek treatment with either Ultherapy or ThermiTight.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

I suggest you see an expert to evaluate what you need and determine if thermiRF is right for you.  Best, Dr. Emer.

THERMI TIGHT PROBABLY THE BEST AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME

Of all the treatments available on the market today, ThermiTight , sometimes followed by ThermiSmooth 250 gives the very best results, generally in the range of 50 to 80 percent improvement. Before I made the decision to purchase this machine, I had to be convinced that I would have mostly very happy patients after treatment. Now, we are treating the abdominal wall, the loose skin around the knees, the upper arms, the buttocks and mostly the face and neck..It is best to pick a physician who has done more than a few because there is a learning curve with this method.

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Facial rejuvenation procedures

Many non surgical facial rejuvenation procedures involve heating the facial tissues.  This includes laser, radio frequency, and ultrasound techniques.  Not all are equivalent in that delivery of the heat varies considerably.  The target of the heating procedure is usually the subdermal collagen and the supporting ligaments as well as fat deposits.  Ultrasound energy as well as laser and some radio frequency technologies have to pass through the skin to reach the target.  ThermiTight procedure applies the heat directly to the target tissue and thus is more efficient and effective than the transcutaneous delivery technologies.  As my practice is nearly all facial rejuvenation I have had the opportunity to use and compare the various procedures in addition to facial surgery.  I have found that ThermiTight in most instances is the preferred method of non surgical facial rejuvenation.  Keep in mind that all procedures including surgery and ThermiTight have limitations and risks and would not be appropriate for every patient.  Therefore seek a consultation from a reputable plastic surgeon who uses a variety of techniques to help determine what is best for you.

Richard O. Gregory, MD