I recently got laser hair remove for the 1st time and my skin is very red and burning what can I apply?

I recently got laser hair remove for the 1st time and my skin is very red and burning what can I apply? Since I have a second section what should I do to avoid the same outcome.

Redness and Burning After Laser Hair Removal

Redness and a burning sensation is normal after laser hair removal and should only last a few hours. I recommend applying 1% hydrocortisone cream to the treated area. Remember to wear SPF 30+ sunblock when going outside. If the burning still occurs have a follow up with your doctor so they can reevaluate the issue.   

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Red and burning after laser hair removal

Depending on the skin type and the type of laser used, redness may be normal for a few hours. But the burning sensation should not last too long. Burning sensation is more of an issue with some IPL and Alexandrite or Diode lasers, especially with a darker or recently sun-exposed skin, but not usually with Nd YAG laser. Apply 1% hydrocortisone cream with or without Aloe vera 3 times a day, use sunblock SPF 40+ minimum, do not use too hot shower, do not rub or be abrasive on the treated area; and if burning persists follow up with your doctor for re-examination of the treated area. Follow up is important for early detection and treatment of issues like hyperpigmentation (darkening).

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

Redness after laser hair removal

Apply ice, aloe vera, and topical steroids if the area is red. If it is burned, please discuss with your doctor.

Steven F. Weiner, MD