Doctors please help ! I'm worried sick . My belly button looks awful I'm 5 Days post op. Does it look like necrosis? (photos)

Is bloating normal ? Does it Look like I have an infection or necrosis? Thank you for any input

Doctors please help ! I'm worried sick . My belly button looks awful I'm 5 Days post op. Does it look like necrosis?

Relax. There is no necrosis. there is some scabbing around the belly button incision which is absolutley normal. We request that our patinets apply some baby oil to soften p the scab until it eventuallu falls off. Good luck

Best to call your surgeon will ALL early postoperative issues as these that you describe.. I see NO necrosis... 

Early recovery after mommy makeover

Your incisions appear to be a bit inflammatory compared to most. But almost all early issues like this resolve with time. No need to worry quite yet, but close follow up with your surgeon would be advised. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

1 Week Post Op from Tummy Tuck Belly Button Concerns

Thank you for your question and pictures. The belly button is what takes the longest to look "normal" after a tummy tuck. It can take months for swelling to go away and skin to lay flat. Be patient. Chances are yours will be just fine. You can tell very little about a final result one week post op.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

5 days very EARLY in healing cycle

You will be fine.  Your belly button will settle down as it heals.  Do not worry.  Your incision will be fine as it heals.  You should go and have your doctor check you to get reassurance.  The post operative period  is often scary.  Fear not.   My Best , Dr C

Concerned About Navel Area 5 Days Post Op

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery.  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Minor wound problems fairly common after abdominoplasty.

I don't see anything in the photographs it is terribly alarming. There is active inflammation which is to be anticipated. Nevertheless, I would check in with your own surgeon.

Belly button after tummy tuck ok?

Your belly button looks fine. There is some redness of the lower midabdominal incision which may be of concern - hard to tell with the photos. I would recommend you call your surgeon's office for a quick check to make sure all is ok. 

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Tummy tuck healing?

Thank you for your tummy tuck question.
  • A necrotic belly button will be black.
  • Your belly button in the photos has pink tissue - so I do not see necrosis.
  • Your incisions all look a little inflamed. This often is from the suture material used.
  • This early in your surgery it is important to share your concerns with your surgeon as well as on-line. 
  • Your surgeon may want to see you and check your healing earlier than planned.
  • Best wishes.