What are options after one pass laser procedure has turned into fever blisters?

Went strictly by Post Op directions. Took Keflex, Valtrex, CU3 Intensive Tissue Repair Creme. Third day some peeling, gentle wash, kept moist, no scabbing. Fourth Day face not lighter but very red, hot, and looks like fever blisters weeping. Painful, but still following instructions. I have iced areas since day one and I am would have thought it would be a little lighter. Did the fever blister reaction botch the procedure. Doctor appointment tomorrow 10-17-2016

Thanks for your query. You should send in your photograph for better consult and advice. If the blisters are painful, then you can use mild steroid to lower down the erythema and you should visit your treating doctor as soon as possible. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Fever blister.

I would follow up with your physician immediately to get the proper treatment and make sure you area on the correct dosage of the Valtrex  to treat the outbreak. For future laser treatments, I would start on a higher Valtrex dose the day before they procedure. At our clinic, we have patients start the day before and continue for 5 days. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser Blisters--Call you doctor

I would consult your Dr. about treating the outbreak. For future treatments, a higher preventative dose will be necessary. Best, Dr. Emer

Herpes after Fraxel

This is always a possibility after lasers. Usually the dosage of Valtrex is a preventative dose and not high enough to treat an outbreak. You need to discuss this immediately with your doctor and get on higher strength dosing. If you do another time, take the high dosing from the start.

Steven F. Weiner, MD