Does having a face lift at 40 mean you can't have one at 65? The problem being prior surgery and very thin skin.

Doctor suggested we could do upper lids, laser under eyes and mouth (one pass). Return after required healing. Use fillers for nasolabial folds, smile lines, etc. Why is thin skin such an issue I really did want that lower lift....

Face lift at 40 - can it be redone later on?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • This does not sound like the usual advice from a plastic surgeon.
  • It sounds more like the advice of a doctor who does not do cosmetic surgery.
  • I have done many face lifts on women with thin skin with lovely results -
  • Face lifts can be redone on women with thin skin - if needed.
  • If the need for a face lift is evident at 40, early surgery gives longer lasting results than later surgery.
  • If you did consult a plastic surgeon, then I suggest a second opinion.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift

40 is a bit young but some patients do need it at an earlier age. It is difficult to say if you are a candidate without an exam in person. Best of luck.

Facelift at 65 after one at 40?

The age at which you had your first facelift has no bearing on whether we recommend another one. Instead, the amount of looseness (laxity) of the skin, lines, and muscle laxity are the main deciding factors we consider. Hope that helps and best wishes, Dr. Donath

Alexander Donath, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.  My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Facelift at 40

Facelift surgery is commonly repeated more than once for many patients throughout their lives.  I have seen many patients get 2-3 facelifts in their lifetime with excellent results.  I am very unclear why at 40 years old, your surgeon is concerned with skin quality.  Typically, you should still have satisfactory skin quality and tone. For the most part, 40 year old patients need a "Mini Facelift" to address the early signs of aging, and later in life proceed to more traditional facelift surgery as they age.  I would suggest a second opinion with a surgeon that specializes in facial cosmetic surgery.   Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Facelifts and Thin Skin

Multiple facelifts are always possible by an experienced surgeon. For many years, 60% of all the facelifts I did were redos. Also, no one your age has "thin skin" unless the physician is inexperienced and uses that as an excuse. These days, for redo facial rejuvenation, I am doing more injectables and getting excellent results. I am also using them for people your age to delay the surgical procedure until the skin has stretched more. Make sure you consult a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board or Plastic Surgery and that that physician has significant experience in all forms of facial rejuvenation. (see PlasticSurgeryToday.com)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

What will help you

Get another opinion or two. There may be other approaches to rejuvenating your face. Perhaps you are really not yet ready to have a face lift. Face lifts can always be redone. I have many patients who have had 3-4 facelifts over a 35 year timespan. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Have Facelift at Age 65 if Also Done at Age 40?

A patient can have a facelift at age 40 and a second procedure later in life if necessary. Working with thin skin can provide a better result but is more challenging for the surgeon because he/she must be more exact. I cannot explain your surgeon's recommendations without seeing pictures.

Facelift

Thank you for your question. There isn't a specific age that is considered the right or most appropriate age for a facelift. The right time for a facelift is more about the look of your face than the chronological age. A facelift creates the most dramatic and long lasting changes to the overall look of your face, so a facelift in 25 years from now may or may not be necessary. I suggest that in your next meeting with your single or board certified facial plastic surgeon you explain that you want a lower lift and then ask them why they recommend focusing on those facial features. Please post pictures.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 40

Hello and thank you for your question. If it is appropriate based on your individual anatomy (loose neck, jowls, wrinkles), then it is becoming increasingly common to undergo a mini facelift.  You can still certainly have another facelift later in life at age 65.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD