Very bad bruising after CC. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had CC done in february and then again in june, the day after was deep bruising (photo provided) and one week after my whole breast was bruised, swollen and sore! It took a bit over 3 weeks for most of the bruising to go away and my breast is so sore and hard I can't do any massages because it is so sore. Is this normal?

Very bad bruising after CC. Any suggestions?

Greetings
Thank you for your question and photos, I am sorry to hear of your capsular contracture, the best soluation might be to remove the implants/ change the implants as soon as possible, your surgeon should be able gıve you the best recommendation.  

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Reoccurring Bruising and Capsular Contracture

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the information provided you may be at a high risk for reoccurring capsular contracture. You will need to discuss the possibility of a capsulectomy done to completely remove scar tissue and perhaps change placement of implants as well.

All the best

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your capsular contracture issues.  If a closed capsulotomy was performed this procedure leads to what you have experienced - significant bruising and pain and has little chance of long-term improvement.  If you continue to have a capsular contracture the best option for treatment is surgical removal and placement of the implant in a different tissue plane.  Hope this helps. 

There is a very high recurrence rate with closed capsultomy which is why it is no longer a common procedure.  The most common method of treating capsular contracture is to surgically remove the capsule and ideally replace the implant.  Some would suggest changing the implant from subglandular to submuscular if the implant is not already submuscular.  

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

If you had a capsular contracture in the past, you are definitely at higher risk of developing it again.  Not sure why you had all that bruising. Did you have a hematoma?  Best to be evaluated in person by your surgeon.

If treating Capsular Contracture than this severe bruising/ecchymosis will use cause return of the cc! Best to see hematologist to see if there is a bleeding issue  and was a drain used?

Closed capsulotomy

Thank you for your question and photos.  I agree with my peer especially since this has already happened twice.  Your Dr. may need to surgically remove the capsule/scar tissue around the implant and put the implant back in.  Once you have more than one capsular contracture your risk goes up for future cc's.  Make sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Chad Robbins, MD

Closed capsulotomy - very bruised

Thank you for asking about your closed capsulotomy.

• Closed capsulotomy is not widely used because of the pain and bruising.
  • Also it is rarely effective - the capsule quickly returns.
  • I suggest you not have it done again.
  • For those who are unfamiliar with this treatment, closed capsulectomy is done by squeezing a breast very hard to break up internal scar around an implant.
  • It was first used in the mid-1980s but only a few plastic surgeons still use it. .
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS