My Mother and I are both BRCA2+. I have read about the benefits of IDEAL implants, is this a viable option for me?

I have researched IDEAL implants as thoroughly as possible but there is no information on them in conjunction with reconstruction. I am claustrophobic and I do not want to have anymore MRI's than I already have to have due to BRCA2. I also am not thrilled with the things I have read about saline implants. I plan on fat grafting as well. I also understand they are stronger so less surgeries. Are they a viable option for reconstruction? I want my breasts to look good.

IDEAL Implants for breast reconstruction

Thank you for your question.  IDEAL implants have and may be used for breast reconstruction.  They're a great option if you wish not to have silicone implants.  These implants are available only to select board certified plastic surgeons within a nationwide network.  You can find a surgeon by searching on the IDEAL Implant  website.  Good luck!

Ideal Implants for Breast Reconstruction

Thank you for your question.  Yes, Ideal implants can be used for breast reconstruction. Many women like the benefit of knowing that they will not require an MRI to determine if their silicone gel implant has ruptured.  Ideal implants offer the natural shape and feel of gel implants, but with the peace of mind of knowing that there will not be an undetected rupture of the implants.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who offers the Ideal Implant to learn more and see if you might be a good candidate.  Best of luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon