How do I find out if my Dr. is a Board Certified Surgeon for Breast surgery.

I was told that the Dr. that performed my breast lift is certified in facial surgery and not Breast. I went to get another opinion because of some issue that I was having and just basically wanted to see what another surgeon would say and now I feel even worse and have even more questions. How do I find out who is certified in what body area.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue

ABPS

You can find a list of board certified plastic surgeons for Lexington by going to the American Board of Plastic Surgery website.

Is my doctor board certified for breast surgery?

If you visit the website for the American Board of Plastic Surgery, you can check to see if your surgeon is an actual board certified plastic surgeon.  Unfortunately, many non-plastic surgeons or physicians will call themselves cosmetic surgeons implying that they are the same as plastic surgeons or equally trained..  Beware.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Reconstruction surgeon

A breaet reconstructive surgeon should be boarded by the ABPS. You can go to their website to see if your surgeon is.

Is my doctor board certified

You can check the American Board of Plastic surgery website. I find it funny that an ENT surgeon does breast surgery but we as plastic surgeons don't try get into their space and do tonsils and ear tubes.Good luck with your search. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Board Certification

To see if your surgeon truly is a board-certified plastic surgeon, go to the American Board or Plastic Surgery website.  That is the only true place where you can see who is really board certified in plastic surgery.  Many doctors will call themselves plastic surgeons or cosmetic surgeons, but are really board certified in gynecology, ENT, etc. and don't reveal this.  It is always very important to do your research first before any surgery, and that includes the doctors credentials as well.

You can check board status online

Thank you for your question and congratulations on being smart enough to check for proper board certification BEFORE you surgery!  You can see if you plastic surgeon is really board certified in plastic surgery and not just of the face by going to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website at plasticsurgery.com.  If you want to see if your surgeon is experienced in plastic surgery, see if he/she is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery on their site at surgery.org.  

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Board certification

You can go to the American Board of Plastic Surgery website to see if a surgeon is boarded.     Surgeons certified by this board are qualified for breast surgery.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Thank you for your question.  If you're looking for a board certified plastic surgeon, make sure that they are certified specifically by the "American Board of Plastic Surgery."  There are many boards that masquerade as some variation of the plastic surgery board but are not.  Go to their website (see link below), and make sure that your surgeon is certified.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

How to find surgeon board certification status.

When seeking a surgeon for plastic surgery it is very important to see someone who has had the appropriate training and experience to take good care of you and get excellent results.  The only recongnized board certification for plastic surgeons who do breast surgery is via the american board of plastic surgery.  If you check the board's webpage, there is an "is your surgeon certified?" button where you can enter the name and see certification status.  Good luck.

Kelly Killeen, MD